I’ve had this curiosity about meal delivery services for a long time. How simple and easy would it be to point, click and have dinner delivered to my door? All I would have to do is spend twenty minutes mixing up the ingredients and dinner would be served. As my kids eat different than I do, so for me finding a gluten free meal delivery service sounded ideal! The first reason was it would allow me to eat healthy and not break out the pre packaged frozen meals every night. sometimes I’m too exhausted to make another meal after spending time making the kids meal. Or what the kids want is completely different from what I can eat and isn’t as easy as throwing in different noodles for a meal like spaghetti.
So the opportunity to try Green Chef has appealed to me for a long time. However, I found meal delivery services to be a little rougher than I thought.
An honest opinion:
- Ordering was so simple and I loved that I could order gluten free options! So many companies I searched didn’t. I got a little hint of what would be in that weeks gluten free delivery and it sounded delicious. Unfortunately, the full gluten free menu wasn’t available and I wasn’t able to take off meals I wouldn’t eat. But I like trying new foods so wasn’t overly anxious that I would get sent something that I may not like. Just don’t send me brussel sprouts or beets. My Mom made us eat them plain and steamed and I cannot stomach them at all.
- After ordering, getting the initial delivery from Green Chef in the mail was EXCITING!! My little one was eager to help put the ingredients into the fridge for me. She loved all the color coded meals and had to organize them in the fridge by color.
- I was alittle disappointed the find that one of my first meals was going to be…BEETS!!! I HATE beets. So I opted to leave them out and saved them to make red velvet cake. Beets and chocolate are okay. You can’t taste them. Especially if you add enough frosting.
- I loved my first meal but then fell sick with the flu. It took almost two weeks for my appetite to come back and I had to move the materials from the fridge to the freezer. The curry smell would make me sick every time I opened the refrigerator and I worried that some of the food would go bad before i had a chance to eat it.
- After two weeks I finally got my appetite back and tried the steak. It was delicious!! And the ingredients changed some of the texture of the sauces, but still tasted amazing!
What I thought about Green Chef:
- Menus that fit your lifestyle, including omnivore, carnivore, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, paleo, and family-style options.
- Simple and easy instructions with color codes for each meal making it easy to find the ingredients for that days recipe
- Chef inspired recipes
- USDA-certified organic meal kit delivery service with pre-measured
and largely prepped ingredients, including homemade sauces and
- Meals are ready in about 30 minutes or less!
- If you get the flu after your meals for the week have been delivered, it may be hard to keep your meals fresh.
- The meals all said ready in thirty minutes or less, but we found picking out the color coded ingredients, reading the instructions and preparing the meal actually took closer to 45 minutes for some meals. None of the meals we were sent took under 30 minutes to make and one took closer to an hour.
- Sometimes what’s in the fridge doesn’t sound good and we ended up going out or getting something different to eat since a long day of work and almost an hour to make a meal didn’t sound that appealing.
- A weeks worth of meals for two people is 3 meals at about $13 per meal. Only 3 meals are sent, not an actual week of meals.
Overall, we loved the variety of the meals sent (and opted to make dessert with the dreaded beets). I would order again from Green Chef if I had the opportunity to pick and choose my gluten free meals I was being sent. Overall though, DELICIOUS food with high quality ingredients. A win!
I received this product for free from Moms Meet (momsmeet.com), May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agree to use this product and post my honest opinion on my blog. The opinions posted are my own.