We hope you had a very Happy Halloween whatever you ended up doing or how you celebrated this year. We were so excited that so many people made Halloween such a very safe and enjoyable night for kids everywhere!
Earlier in the afternoon I had to go to the grocery store. It was an Olympic event. So I decided to reward myself after the experience. In addition to long lines and crowded aisles it was also nice to have several people ask me if I could read and give me dirty looks when I went down the wrong aisle. It was so confusing. Several of the aisles only labeled what direction the aisle flowed from one end of the aisle and so it became mass chaos for those of us who came from the unlabeled aisle side. I survived though and was starving by the end of the trip was starving so I enjoyed some in car Halloween inspired sushi. (And today I’m paying for it because the sushi lady told me it was gluten free Halloween special but I don’t think it was–my poor stomach!)
I’ve also been experimenting lately by adding in more protein. I’ve noticed that my stomach issues can stay more at bay when I’m eating more protein.
These waffles are simple and easy to make and only need a few ingredients.
CAN I MAKE THESE FOR LARGER CROWDS?
Yes, I quadrupled the recipe yesterday to make waffles to freeze for easy weekday meals. They worked perfect!
CAN YOU MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN WAFFLES?
Yes!! You can absolutely make these gluten free using whatever gluten free flour blend you enjoy.
WILL THE GLUTEN FREE WAFFLES STICK TO THE WAFFLE MAKER?
I feel your pain. My husband has nicely bought several brands of gluten free waffle and pancake mix and often turns them into pancakes instead of waffles because the mix sticks all over the waffle maker. These waffles DO NOT stick to the waffle maker. I’ve tried several batches and they work perfect!
CAN YOU MAKE THESE WAFFLES DAIRY FREE? VEGAN?
Yes and yes! Look for the substitution suggestions in the recipe.
Pumpkin Protein Waffle For One (Or More!)
- 1 egg (can use egg replacer)
- 1/2 cup milk (Can substitute dairy free)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup flour (can substitute whole wheat or gluten free)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 scoop protein powder (we recommend vanilla or unflavored. If using vanilla omit the vanilla in this recipe)
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers directions.
- Mix together all waffle ingredients until well blended. Pour approximately 1/4-1/3 cup batter onto waffle iron (mini or belgian waffle irons may need to have batter amount adjusted).
- Once waffle maker indicates waffles are ready, remove waffle from maker and serve.
- You may double or quadruple the recipe in order to make additional waffles.
- Serve waffle warm with pure maple syrup or whipped topping.