These delicious allergy friendly peppermint bark rice krispies have a delicious peppermint flavor and are made with Dandies vegan marshmallows.
I can't believe that Christmas is right around the corner and it's time to deliver the neighbor gifts. This year our allergy friendly friends received some yummy treats. I had some reasons. I wanted treats too and I didn't want to be deprived this Christmas. I was craving pecans, peppermint and chocolate!
I went to the stores but where I live, there are no real allergy friendly places to go. Most stores will offer one or two gluten free items, but it's hard to go out to eat and find something that fits my allergy needs that isn't a salad or a hamburger with no bun. There are a few bakeries but they only offer gluten free--it's hard to find bakeries that will work with me on my needs.
Sooooo....it's starve and crave and cry this Christmas....or make it myself.
I chose to make it myself. I'll feature one recipe on Wednesday and another today. But I will tell you that we made this fantastic chocolate pecan pie (I made them in a mini muffin pan to give to friends and neighbors). I've eaten several of them already.
And a pan of these did NOT last long.
It's nice to have some options. We used Dandies vegan marshmallows. They are gluten free and corn syrup free. They don't melt as well as regular marshmallows but they were just as good as good old marshmallows. (I'm not getting paid from them to say this).
- 1 (10-11 oz) bag mini marshmallows (We used Dandies but any brand will do)
- 4 tbsp butter (we used Earth Balance)
- ½ tsp peppermint extract or several drops peppermint essential oils
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted (you can use Enjoy Life chocolate chips for non dairy)
- ¼ tsp oil
- 3 medium candy canes, crushed (use 1 large candy cane if using the ones from the natural food stores), or ¼ cup Andes peppermint crunch baking chips
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan with butter (or Earth Balance non dairy butter). Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt marshmallows and butter on low heat, stirring occasionally until marshmallows and butter are smooth and melted completely.
- Stir in the peppermint extract or essential oils into the marshmallow mixture. Fold in the cereal, stirring until cereal is completely coated in the marshmallow mixture.
- Pour the cereal mixture into the 9x13 inch pan, pressing evenly with buttered fingers into the pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips and oil and drizzle evenly over the rice krispies. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes or peppermint baking chips over the rice krispy treats. Place pan in refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Remove and cut into squares.
Recipe adapted from Our Best Bites
Leave a Reply