A delicious recipe for baked fried chicken and waffles with a delicious honey lime pink peppercorn sauce.
Today, I'm introducing you to one amazing, AMAZING chicken and waffle recipe. Before you think, "I can't eat that, it's fried!" Think again folks.
We utilize some tips from our KFC baked chicken recipe. The sauce and waffle recipe comes from one of my husband's favorite chefs. Yes, my husband was watching cooking shows again and you all know what THAT means.
A STAT trip to the store and ME in the kitchen.
Bring on the yummy food. You can have chicken and waffles folks. It's still a splurge, but less so than using fried chicken.
And can I tell you about this sauce? This sauce!!! It is so incredibly good. I used it in this recipe, than enjoyed it as a marinade for some boneless skinless chicken breasts. It tasted amazing paired with brown rice.
The only thing about this recipe that irks me a little bit is that it uses pink peppercorns. While I pride myself in using common ingredients you can find anywhere, I did cringe at buying a $5 bottle of peppercorns that I might not use again. But I found them at Target, fell in love and now I use them on everything to give them an extra pop of flavor.
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup oil, melted coconut oil or nonfat greek yogurt
- ½ cup cooked wild rice
- Butter or oil for the waffle iron
- 2 lb chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cup + 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp chile powder
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup clover honey
- 3 tbsp crushed pink peppercorns
- 1 lime
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a bowl, whisk together the unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and oil or greek yogurt. Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the wild rice.
- Brush the waffle iron with melted butter or oil.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer's directions. Once waffles are cooked, place in warming oven to keep warm, or you can freeze them then take them out when ready.
- In a bowl, mix together the buttermilk and chile powder. Add the chicken (chicken needs to be covered in the milk mixture). Cover, and allow chicken to sit four hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the first of two shallow dishes place the one cup of buttermilk. In the second dish, stir together the flour, garlic and onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Cut up the butter and place in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the butter in the oven until melted, then remove dish from oven.
- Remove chicken from bowl, dip the chicken until covered in the flour mixture, then dip in the buttermilk mixture, then in the flour mixture again. Arrange the chicken in the baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn chicken over and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until cooked. Remove from oven.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce.
- In a small bowl, stir together the honey, crushed peppercorn, zest of the lime, and juice of ½ the lime. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place a waffle on a plate. Arrange 1-2 pieces of chicken on top of the waffle. Drizzle pink peppercorn sauce over the top.
Recipe Adapted from Cooking Channel
Leave a Reply