Amazing southwest black bean and chicken taquitos have a great flavor and rich taste. Perfect for a weeknight meal or make them up, freeze them and pull them out at a later date!
I am like a lot of people I hear out there excited that the snow is melting and the sun and good weather is returning. I start to crave different foods as the weather warms. Spicy southwest flavors start to make their way into my cooking, I can actually see the grill now and grilled vegetables are starting to make their way onto our plates at night. Light and airy desserts like lemon and grapefruit love to appear after the dinner plates are cleared.
Today I'm bringing in some of those southwest flavors by making some delicious taquitos. These are easy to make and can be made ahead of time and frozen then brought out and cooked for busy week night meals. I often double the recipe and those nights when I have time, I cook up extra and eat part of it that night and freeze the rest.
This recipe uses a Simply Organic dip that tastes great and is made from good, wholesome organic ingredients. A packet of seasoning costs just pennies more than some of the competitors and can be found at your local health food stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Sprouts.
You've seen several of our recipes that use the Simply Organic ranch seasoning packets, now we're giving YOU the opportunity to use them in your cooking. We're giving away an assortment of seasoning packets for you to use. Try one of our recipes, or substitute a packet in your favorite recipe.
- 1 packet Simply Organic Chipotle Black Bean Dip
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup red or green salsa
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 cup grated monterrey jack cheese
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Corn or flour tortillas
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and lightly grease. Set baking sheet aside for later use.
- In a bowl mix together the packet of dip, water and cream cheese. Heat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from microwave, add in the salsa and lime juice and stir until smooth. Add in the black beans, cilantro, cheese, green onions and chicken and continue stirring until mixed.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave to soften. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture onto the lower ⅓ of the tortilla. Wrap the tortilla up and place seam side down onto the baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops of the tortillas with oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 14-18 minutes or until tortillas are crisp and lightly browned on the edges.
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
To make as a freezer meal: Assemble each tortilla. Place on a baking sheet and freeze in the freezer uncovered for 20-30 minutes to flash freeze. Place taquitos in a Ziploc freezer bag for up to one month. (Note: If you are freezing this you may want to omit the cilantro (it doesn't seem to freeze well with the mixture) and opt to sprinkle fresh cilantro on top of the taquitos instead). To prepare the taquitos: Allow the taquitos to defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then prepare as directed above.
Enter to win below, but in the meantime you can try this recipe with a $⅓ coupon!
Leave a Reply