My love for Japanese food runs deep and I really could enjoy it every day. While this apple cinnamon Japanese breakfast rice bowl isn't considered "traditional" it is something my mom would make when my Japanese friends would spend the night. And they loved it!
What are breakfast rice bowls?
Breakfast rice bowls are a delicious and nutritious way to start your day. They typically consist of a base of cooked rice, combined with a variety of toppings and flavors.
What types of toppings do you put in rice bowls?
Here's a general idea of what a breakfast rice bowl might include:
- Rice: Use any type of cooked rice as the base. Popular choices include white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, or even quinoa.
- Protein: Add a source of protein to make your breakfast rice bowl more filling. This can include scrambled eggs, fried eggs, tofu, grilled chicken, smoked salmon, or even cooked ground turkey or beef.
- Vegetables: Include a variety of vegetables for added nutrients and flavor. Some options can be sautéed spinach, kale, roasted sweet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, sliced avocados, bell peppers, or steamed broccoli.
- Sauce/Dressing: Enhance the flavors of your breakfast rice bowl with a delicious sauce or dressing. You can use soy sauce, tamari, teriyaki sauce, sriracha, peanut sauce, or a simple vinaigrette made with lemon or lime juice and olive oil.
- Additional toppings: To add more texture and taste, consider adding toppings such as chopped fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, or basil), sliced green onions, sesame seeds, crushed peanuts, or shredded cheese.
- Cooked white rice
- Cooked egg, any style
- Apple Slices
- Almonds, walnuts or pecans, raisins (optional)
In a bowl, mix together cooked rice, applesauce and cinnamon to taste. Place desired amount of rice in a bowl, top with egg, additional cinnamon, nuts, raisins or apple slices if desired.
What are some tips for making a good breakfast rice bowl?
- Use high-quality ingredients. The quality of your ingredients will make a big difference in the taste of your breakfast bowl.
- Cook the rice properly. The rice should be cooked until it is fluffy and tender.
- Season the rice. Season the rice with salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.
- Be creative with your toppings. There are endless possibilities when it comes to toppings for breakfast rice bowls. Get creative and experiment with different flavors and textures.
- Pack your breakfast rice bowl. If you are packing your breakfast rice bowl for later, make sure to pack it in an airtight container so that the ingredients stay fresh.
Are breakfast bowls healthy?
Yes, breakfast rice bowls can be healthy, especially when you incorporate a balance of proteins, vegetables, and whole grains. Opting for lean protein sources, such as eggs or tofu, along with plenty of vegetables, can provide essential nutrients to start your day.
Can I use any type of rice for breakfast bowls?
Yes, you can use various types of rice for rice bowls based on your preference. Common options include white rice, brown rice, jasmine rice, basmati rice, or even wild rice. Each type of rice offers a different texture and flavor profile.
Can I make the bowls ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare certain components of breakfast rice bowls ahead of time to save time in the morning. Cook the rice in advance and store it in the refrigerator. You can also pre-cook proteins such as scrambled eggs or grilled chicken. However, some toppings like fresh herbs or sliced avocado are best added just before serving to maintain their freshness.
Can I make these bowls vegetarian or vegan?
Absolutely! These bowls can easily be customized to suit vegetarian or vegan diets. Instead of animal-based proteins, you can use plant-based alternatives like tofu, tempeh, or plant-based sausages. Load your bowl with a variety of vegetables, and choose vegan-friendly sauces and dressings.
Additional breakfast bowl ideas:
Try this recipe for Japanese Tamago, Gohan, Chomiryo Dish. It avocado, fried egg and seasoning on top!