Glancing at the title you would think that this meal is a fat laden, butter drenched, cheese heavy meal.
It is anything but.
The lightly buttered noodles are whole grain (or if you choose you can use gluten free noodles). The parmesan cheese is tossed with a variety of mild spices and cut up ham, then the entire dish is mixed together and warmed in the skillet. From start to finish, this ham skillet dinner takes twenty minutes.
Which now gives you plenty of more time to help the kids with homework. Or put your feet up and enjoy that after dinner drink. Or head out for an after dinner walk as the days grow longer.
For me? I think the dogs have made it known they are wanting that after dinner walk. One day I'll get time to myself. One day.
- 1 pound (16oz) whole wheat or gluten free penne pasta, uncooked
- 2 cups cooked ham cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp basil
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ cup parsley
- 4 tbsp butter
- 7 oz low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large skillet place the ham, onion, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley and butter. Saute on medium heat until ham is heated through and onion and garlic are tender.
- Stir in the chicken broth. reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking until the liquid is reduced by half. (approximately five minutes). Once liquid is reduced, stir the pasta into the mixture, then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
Recipe is best served same day. If you feel the noodles are too dry, stir in 1-2 tablespoons of chicken broth.
Leave a Reply