My poor cousin. Stuck back east where the weather has just been frigid.
I don't envy her. And I hope she doesn't share her frigid winter weather with me. Because to me, this has been the perfect winter ever. Never has it been warm enough that I didn't have to wear so many layers, headbands, beanies and at least three layers of gloves on a run. No, those have been packed away this winter. And that's been okay with me.
In apologies to all of you back East though, I'm making you some soup today.
It's really good. Amazing actually. Just perfect for cold weather. Or intense soup cravings.
This chicken and rice queso soup is creamy and tastes absolutely amazing with the addition of white cheddar. Bring on the soup, the soup!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups (48oz) chicken broth
- 2 cups milk, divided
- 1 10oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1 4oz can mild diced green chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¾ cup long grain brown rice (you can also substitute quinoa or white rice)
- ¼ cup flour (gluten free or unbleached all purpose flour)
- 8oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crushed tortilla chips, for topping
- In a saucepan, place the butter, chicken, and onion Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally until meat is no longer pink and onions are cooked tender. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Add the chicken broth, 1 ½ cups milk, tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, and chili powder. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Once mixture has begun to simmer add the rice (or quinoa) and turn heat down to medium/low. Cook the rice or quinoa until done (approximately 20-25 minutes). Stir the mixture occasionally while cooking.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ½ cup of milk and flour. Pour the mixture into the soup and allow soup to thicken for approximately five minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove the soup from heat, stir in the cheese. Allow cheese to melt for approximately 10 minutes, stirring several times before serving.
- Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips
Mmmm I love queso, I bet this is all kinds of delicious!
This would hit the spot on a cold winter night! Thank you for sharing on VMG206's Link Party this week!
Lou Lou Girls
I'm loving this! This looks so good. Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tonight at 7 at our party. I can't wait! Lou Lou Girls