Chicken nugget casserole is a simple freezer meal that is easy to assemble, freeze, thaw than bake!
Fast and simple meals have become the norm at our house from Monday-Thursday. With my husband on the road the kids seem to want to pick the same meals each and every week. Healthy frozen meals from Kashi and Amy's have become my norm in an attempt to survive eating chicken nuggets, pizza and spaghetti every week.
Don't worry. I don't always allow them to eat those meals every week. And they do make sure they have healthier versions. Ha! One point for Mom.
This chicken nugget casserole is on my freezer meal rotation. It's easy to make up and freeze, then pull out of the freezer and place in the oven to bake. We even included a gluten free chicken nugget casserole and a meat free chicken nugget casserole version too. You can also opt to sub your own homemade chicken nuggets. For those needing grain free options, this Paleo chicken nugget recipe is a good one. (We omit the pickle juice).
A side of steamed broccoli and homemade applesauce makes a good kid friendly side dish to pair with the casserole. And the casserole itself? It has some grown up appeal too. It tastes a lot like chicken parmesan!
- 1 13.5 oz package chicken nuggets (we use Applegate. Perdue also has a gluten free version and Quorn offers meat free chik'n nuggets)
- 1 26 oz can spaghetti sauce (homemade or store bought)
- ½ cup low fat mozzarella cheese (can use low fat)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Arrange chicken nuggets in a single layer in a 9x13 inch pan. Cover chicken with a light layer of spaghetti sauce, then sprinkle evenly with mozzarella and parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- To freeze: Cover chicken mixture with plastic wrap and freezer tin foil. Label and freeze. Place chicken in refrigerator to thaw prior to baking.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Serve with steamed broccoli or carrots, or homemade applesauce.
Leave a Reply