Happy Holidays! Colitis and the holidays can be a lot of fun! When colitis symptoms decide to send you a present, try some of these colitis treatments to get your through the holidays!
Have you had a holiday where you were:
- Popping Pepto instead of champagne?
- Calling your doctors office for help and getting the same advice? Eat better, take this pill and reduce your stress! (Gee glad it's THAT simple!)
- Checked the scale every morning hoping the numbers haven't dropped too much?
- Spent the holiday in the ER...or worrying you would be there soon?
- Spent weeks on end functionally sick trying to work hoping to collapse in bed once you got home?
- Watched potlucks pass you by while you drank chicken broth and chomped on rice cakes?
It is NOT easy and only those of us living with things like SIBO, IBS, colitis and crohn's can understand.
It is NOT a simple formula for getting better with colitis but eventually the formula works.
I'm there with you. When I walk out from my doctors office, I can be really frustrated. it seems really unfair to be told the same thing to get through the holidays--eat right, exercise and reduce your stress to treat colitis symptoms. You can do everything you can and try as hard as you want to but sometimes nothing helps. Until it does.
There is a lot of different and traditional foods you eat around the holidays and that can be difficult on your system. Try to stay with your diet as best you can, but enjoy the holidays in moderation too!
Taking your medications and making sure you have your preventative and other medications available are important too.
If you're traveling, read some tips on colitis and traveling.
When you are in the middle of a flareup exercising will be one of the last things you will want to do. But exercise is a beneficial colitis treatment. There are some ways that you can get through the holidays (and flare up days) and get some exercise in.
I saved the best for last because this is the funniest piece of advice in my opinion! if we could reduce stress wouldn't be have already done it?? The holidays bring a lot of stress--work, family, gifts, travel and more.