Delicious English breakfast scones are the perfect breakfast and simple and easy to make! We even included some allergy friendly adaptations to make these vegan, gluten free, egg free and dairy free if you need!
During our school shutdown it was getting tougher and tougher to get the kids engaged in learning. They were sick of the internet, they were sick of having only the same things to do day in and day out. My son said, "Mom, I know how the dogs feel. Now I see why they get so excited to see me come home from school everyday. It's like the highlight of their day. A walk and me coming home! I am SO sick of having NOTHING to do like the dogs!"
So one of the things that we did was travel to a different country. I explain it all here in this post.
One of the countries we visited was England! And you cannot visit England without some scones for breakfast.
Scones are delicious for dessert or breakfast in my opinion. Grab this easy and simple recipe! PS I also make some allergy friendly variations for you too!
English Breakfast Scones (Easy!)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute gluten free or other flour blend)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, frozen and grated (can use dairy free alternative)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream (can use dairy free creamer alternative like NutPods)
- ⅓ cup sugar, plus additional for sprinkling on top
- 2 eggs, divided (can substitute egg replacer--may change texture a little of the scones)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- Glaze: (optional)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (can use substitutes like Swerve, etc)
- 3 tablespoons milk (can substitute dairy free alternatives)
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, ½ tsp cinnamon and the salt.
In a large bowl or food processor place the butter and flour mixture. Pulse or hand mix until combined. Add the cream, egg and vanilla and mix until a rough dough comes together. (Mix just until all ingredients are mixed together and then stop the food processor or stop mixing).
Pour the dough onto the parchment paper and knead dough to form a 10 inch circle. Cut the dough into 12 slices.
Brush the dough with the remaining egg (brush with oil if desired for vegan version, etc). Sprinkle the top of the dough evenly with one tablespoon of sugar and the remaining cinnamon (¾-1 tsp).
Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before glazing.
To make the glaze: In a bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, milk and cinnamon until smooth. Drizzle evenly over the scones.
Makes 12 scones.
Leave a Reply