A quick and easy freezer meal taco soup that transitions easily between freezer meal and crockpot dinner. Dinner has never been tastier-or easier! (Gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free, vegan option)
Making Freezer Meal Taco Soup is EASY!
If you're looking for an easy and delicious meal that you can make ahead of time, freezer taco soup is the perfect choice. This soup is packed with flavor and can be made in large batches, so you'll always have a meal on hand when you need it.
Dinners like this taco soup are great. I make it ahead of time, freeze it and move it from freezer to fridge the night before. In the morning it moves to the crockpot easily and simmers all day.
And if you forget to stick it in the crockpot, it warms easily on the stovetop.
- 1 lb ground beef, bison or turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pkg or ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 16 oz can corn, undrained
- 1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28oz or 2 14oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilis
- Tortilla Chips
- Your Choice of Toppings: Avocado, cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, tortilla strips
Preparing Your Taco Soup
- In a pan set on medium heat, cook the meat until browned and no longer pink.
- Remove meat from heat and place in a bowl. In the bowl mix together the meat, onion, taco seasoning, corn, black beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chiles.
- Place mixture in a Ziploc freezer bag. Label and freeze.
- To thaw: Place bag in refrigerator overnight. Place soup in crockpot and set to low. Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve with desired soup toppings.
- You can use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef for a healthier option.
- If you want a spicier soup, add a diced jalapeño pepper to the pot along with the other vegetables.
- You can make this soup in a slow cooker by browning the meat and sautéing the vegetables in a skillet, then transferring everything to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients and cooking on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Vegetarian freezer taco soup - Replace the ground beef with a meatless protein, such as tofu, seitan, or tempeh, or simply omit the meat altogether.
- Chicken freezer taco soup - Use shredded cooked chicken instead of ground beef and chicken broth instead of beef broth.
- Creamy freezer taco soup - Add a can of drained and rinsed black beans to a blender along with a cup of heavy cream, and blend until smooth. Stir the black bean mixture into the soup during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Instant Pot freezer taco soup - Brown the ground beef using the sauté function, then add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, followed by a natural release.