I've got packages being delivered today (fingers crossed they all make it), the food will be made, a morning run will be had and a trip to pick up the husband from the airport tonight will be thrown in there somewhere.
Then it's the house cleaning, packing and getting ready to fly out on Christmas Day. I need some energy today and these gluten free peppermint brownies are sitting in the freezer. Santa gets cookies, why can't I enjoy some of these brownies? Gotta fuel the crazy day.
As we head into the Christmas holiday we want to thank you for your love and support. We love the questions, the challenges you give us to recreate your favorites, and the positive feedback you give us.
We hope you have a safe and happy holiday!
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened all purpose flour or gluten free baking mix flour (with xanthum gum in the mix)
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter (you can also do ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt and ½ cup butter or substitute coconut or other oil for the butter).
- 6 oz dark or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups sugar (we used coconut sugar)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract or several drops peppermint essential oil
- 12 oz dark or semi sweet chocolate chips,(6 oz for smaller batch)
- Coarsely crushed peppermint candies, very fine pieces sifted out, mint M&M's, or Andes peppermint baking chips for topping.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan. NOTE: Because I cook gluten free for just me I've halfed this recipe. If you do, lightly grease an 8x8 inch pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, place the butter and chocolate. Melt in the microwave, using the double boiler method, or stovetop. (NOTE: If using coconut oil you will need to melt it with the chocolate, if using the yogurt or any other oil you do not need to melt it with the chocolate).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Pour in the chocolate mixture, than the flour mixture, mixing just until blended. Pour the mixture into the pan and spread evenly in the pan with a spatula.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes for 8x8 inch pan, and 25-30 minutes for the 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the warm brownies. Allow several minutes for the chocolate to melt, than spread evenly over the brownies. Sprinkle crushed peppermints (or other candies listed above) evenly over the top of the brownies. Place brownies immediately into the refrigerator to allow to cool. Serve warm or cool. Slice when cooled.
Recipe adapted from Eric Wong, Sunset Magazine
Leave a Reply