I really want to break out the pumpkin and apple but the weather calls for record heat this week. So that is off the table. I decided instead ot make this grilled mexican chicken and corn pasta salad. At first glance you would think too many carbs but this is an easily adaptable high protein pasta meal!
We hope that your Labor Day was an enjoyable one. We spent the weekend relaxing, fishing,
paddleboarding, kayaking, four wheeling
and enjoying the last few slivers of summer. I love summer!
This recipe screams summer but it is also good to enjoy with some of the corn popping up from your garden. NOTHING has grown in my garden this year except for one small little squash. My neighbors plant started to grow on my side of the yard and then started to grow a pumpkin and THAT has grown better than my garden. Gardening is NOT my thing.
Grilled Mexican Chicken and Corn Pasta Salad
- 6 ears of corn, husked and grilled or 4 cups frozen corn, placed on baking sheet and broiled and stirred for several minutes until browned or browned/charred slightly
- ⅔ cup cream (or non dairy plain creamer--So Delicious or NutPods are good options)
- 5 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cotija or feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ red onion (apx ½ cup), minced
- ½ cilantro bunched, chopped
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and drained (we used Banza high protein but you can use whatever pasta you would like. We recommend bowtie, elbow, or rigatoni)
- 2 avocados, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup black beans, drained
- 3 chicken breasts, grilled, cooked and chopped into pieces
In a large mixing bowl, stir all ingredients minus the avocados and cilantro together until smooth and well blended. Serve, top with avocados and cilantro. pasta can be kept in an airtight container for up to several days. For best results, store avocado and cilantro seperately from the pasta salad.
**Note this recipe doesn't have to be grilled. It can also be made with cooked corn or chicken.
Recipe inspired by Oh Sweet Basil