September 2nd rolls around and the fall decorations go up. That's not because I'm ready for fall (I LOVE summer) but it's because my palate starts to crave fall food. Pumpkin, apple, peach, squash--all some of my favorite fall foods.
This year, I'll have you craving something even more. Harvest smoothies. That's right. Smoothies seem to take a bit of a back seat when harvest time rolls around and the weather begins to cool, but the won't now!
We've got delicious peach pie smoothie, pumpkin pie smoothie, white smoothie, and a traditional green smoothie packaged into fun phrases like the "Ghost Blood" drink and "The Zombie Slayer" smoothie. Kids like that. They're easily influenced by advertising. So are we adults. I'll admit it. I want to drink more with a fun name like that.
Grab your mason jars, some black construction paper and some tape because we're bringing the fun back into smoothie time. See? Even the littlest ones will have a hard time waiting.
- 1 cup milk (go crazy here--almond, soy, nonfat, lowfat, you choose!)
- ½ cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup peaches (for pumpkin use ¼-1/2 cup pumpkin depending on the amount of pumpkin taste you want)
- 1-2 tbsp honey (you may need a few more for the pumpkin depending on your sweetness preference).
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- Place all ingredients into a blender and mix until smooth (approximately 30 seconds to one minute). Pour into a glass Mason jar.
- To make a pumpkin face for your smoothie, cut out eyes, a nose and a mouth out of black construction paper. Tape the face onto a Mason or other similar jar.
Ghost Blood Smoothie--aka White Smoothie
1 apple, core and skin removed
1 banana, peeled
1 tbsp nonfat plain greek yogurt (you can use vanilla too but omit the vanilla listed)
½ cup milk (use your favorite here--coconut, nonfat, lowfat, almond, soy)
Pinch of cinnamon
¼ tsp vanilla
½ cup ice (optional)
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
To make the Ghost face, cut out eyes and a mouth out of black construction paper. Tape to the front of a Mason jar or other jar to eat.
The Zombie Killer--aka Green Smoothie
1 cup water
1 banana, peeled and halved
1 orange, peeled and cut into quarters
½ apple, cored and cut into pieces
1 cup spinach or kale
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. For variety, substitute the orange for mango or pineapple.
To make the Zombie face, cut out eyes and a mouth with black or green construction paper. Tape to the front of the Mason jar or other jar for serving.
Leave a Reply