I promised you a great recipe to go with Monday's challah bread recipe and this recipe for hot chocolate french toast will not disappoint.
I just can't figure out what to call it. Dessert? Breakfast? Who cares! It's delicious no matter when you eat it.
And it can be made with healthier ingredients or good old traditional ones too. You decide.
The ingredients needed are pretty simple. And the assembly is pretty simple too.
Yup just a few simple and easy steps and you're on your way to breakfast heaven. For those with food allergies and intolerances, I loved this grain free challah bread recipe. You can also use Dandies marshmallows for a little healthier option.
- 1 loaf challah bread, cut lengthwise into an even rectangle
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk (dairy free versions can be substituted)
- 1-2 packets hot chocolate
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- MIni marshmallows
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp oil
- Cut the loaf into 6-8 equal slices. Cut a slit down the inside of each piece of bread to create a pocket and stuff with marshmallows and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk and hot chocolate (1 packet will give the french toast a very light chocolate flavor, 2 packets will give a nice rich chocolately flavor).
- Dip each side of the bread into the chocolate mixture. You can also arrange the bread slices in a baking pan and pour the egg mixture over it, allowing the egg mixture to soak into the bread.
- Heat a pan over medium low heat on the stove top. Place one tablespoon butter in the pan and swirl until melted (This allows the bread to not stick to the pan). Arrange several slices of french toast in the pan. Place a lid over the top of the pan and allow french toast to cook for several minutes on one side. Flip the bread and allow the french toast to cook for several minutes on the other side until marshmallows and chocolate are melted on the inside and bread is completely cooked. While french toast is cooking, melt the remaining chocolate chips and one teaspoon of oil using the microwave, stovetop or double boiler method for melting.
- Remove french toast from pan and place on a plate. Top with additional marshmallows and drizzle melted chocolate over the top.
Leave a Reply