Embrace the flavors of fall with this delicious naturally sweetened apple coffee cake with a brown sugar style glaze!
I have one apple tree in my backyard. One lone single apple tree. The last couple of years we haven't had too many apples so this year our apple tree decided to make up for it by giving us lot's and LOT's of apples. I think most of them have ended up underneath the apple tree though and after an exhausting couple of hours the rotten apples have been picked up and my house smells like fall!
There is crockpot applesauce cooking for tonights dinner in the slow cooker and there is some of this delicious naturally sweetened apple coffee cake sitting out for dessert. It's a healthier cake that's moist and embodies all the wonderful flavors of fall.
The only downfall to this recipe is that after spending all that time apple picking I am so sore! But putting my feet up, relaxing, watching a new season of my favorite show and enjoying a slice of this cake has definetely been extremely therapeutic.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups packed coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat flour or gluten free baking blend (we used almond flour for one cake and all purpose for the other)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups peeled, cored and grated apples
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat flour or gluten free flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Lightly grease a 9x13 inch cake pan or 2 8x8 inch square pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then set the pan(s) aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy (approximately 2-3 minutes). Slow the mixer to low speed, then add eggs in one at a time. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, mixing just until blended. Add in the greek yogurt and vanilla, mix just until blended. Stop the mixer and fold in the apples. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dishes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter until the mixture becomes coarse and crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the cake(s).
- Place the cake in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, allow the cake(s) to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- MIx together the coconut sugar, vanilla extract and hot water until combined. Drizzle over the cake. Slice and serve cake warm.
Leave a Reply