Summer needs quick and easy recipes and this one is one that can be easily made on the grill or in the oven. Open faced chicken hoagies are the way to go when you want a meal that is simple and easy. To make these gluten free, use this gluten free french bread recipe that has fantastic ratings. Or substitute for whole grain bread. Or even some grain free toast. For this recipe we used our easy homemade french bread recipe.
I've also been looking for a grain free version but haven't been able to. If you come across one, please share!
These chicken hoagies were enjoyed by all our family. We ate them with the greek yogurt and they didn't last long. This is one recipe that we will make over and over again. It's perfect for summer or busy weeknights during the school year.
- 1 loaf french bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breasts
- ½ cup light mayo
- ½ cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup parsley, chopped (if using dried, use 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups shredded cheese (you can use reduced fat cheddar, monterrey jack, mozzarella, or a combination of one or more of these)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the french bread on a large baking sheet, face side up.
- Mix the chicken, mayo, sour cream or greek yogurt, green onions, garlic powder, parsley, and cheddar cheese together in a bowl.
- Spread the topping evenly over both slices of bread.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the edges of the bread are browned and the cheese has melted. Slice each loaf into fourths to serve.
- To make on the grill: Wrap the loaves of bread in tin foil and place on the barbeque. Cook for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
*For the ½ cup mayo you can substitute additional greek yogurt. You can also swap out the mayo for a dairy free version if needed.
Recipe adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Leave a Reply