Sometimes I just crave a big salad for dinner. Certain members of my family think I'm crazy but I know I'm not entirely crazy. Maybe a little. But I will not go with "entirely."
The flavor combination in this salad is so good. Each chicken breast is bathed in a pecan and spice crust then placed on top of a bed of salad and topped with feta and a tangy honey mustard dressing.
Since it was a busy weeknight I took a few shortcuts. I made up the pecan coating before heading off to school in the morning. You could also cook the chicken in the morning too as you get ready than warm it or place it under the broiler when you get home right before serving it.
We also used Fresh Express Salad. I just opened the bag and poured the lettuce into everyone's bowl. We used the Spring Mix variety for this recipe. Fresh Express is located at most Target Stores, or you can locate a store near you by going to the store locator. We teamed up with Fresh Express as part of the 30-Day Salad Swap. As part of Moms Meet, this month our challenge is to take higher calorie dinners and revamp them into lower calorie salad dinners.
To get you started, sign up to be a part of the Salad Swap. By doing so you'll get access to great recipes and the downloadable app. Then, download a coupon good on any Fresh Express Salad to help you save when you shop. (Fresh Express salads are found at most Target stores). Don't forget to follow Fresh Express on Twitter and Facebook and find more great recipes with the hashtag #saladswap.
P.S. Don't forget to check out Moms Meet--a company dedicated to helping families go healthy and giving them products and resources to do so. You can find the Fresh Express coupon and other coupons for healthy products on their website.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup finely crushed pecans
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup feta or goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking dish.
- In a food processor, pulse grind the pecans, cornmeal, parmesan cheese, onion powder, rosemary, salt and pepper until fine. Pour mixture into a bowl.
- In another small bowl, mix together the egg and milk.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the milk mixture, than into the pecan mixture, lightly coating both sides. Arrange chicken pieces in the shallow baking dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, flipping the chicken once halfway through baking time. Make the dressing while the chicken is cooking.
- Remove the chicken from the oven when the center of the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Allow the chicken to cool for several minutes before slicing.
- While the chicken is cooling, arrange the lettuce on plates or in bowls. Lightly sprinkle feta or goat cheese evenly over the lettuce. Slice chicken into strips and place on top of lettuce. Drizzle with honey mustard dressing.
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice (or the juice of ½ lemon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients until combined. Transfer dressing to an airtight container (like a mason jar with lid) and refrigerate until ready to use. Shake before use.
Disclaimer: I received this product for free from the sponsor of the Moms Meet program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinion on my blog. All opinions of the product are my own and I always give an honest opinion.
I love, love salads for dinner! would love to try this recipe, definitely going to check out Mom's Meet also!