Breakfast is one of the most important--and tastiest--meals of the day. I love starting my day off right. If I don't, I struggle all day with craving foods that I know I shouldn't be eating. Changing up the norm is important. While I would be happy and content eating a bowl of cereal the rest of my life for breakfast, sometimes it helps to change things up. I love these quinoa multigrain waffles because I can make them up and then put them in the freezer for another morning. An easy breakfast choice makes you start the day off right making good decisions.
These pancakes have a hint of cinnamon and are filled with high protein quinoa, whole wheat flour, ground flax and eggs. It's a great breakfast when topped with fresh fruit and agave nectar or pure maple syrup.
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup unbleached all purpose flour (use oat flour as a substitute)
- ¼ cup ground flax
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup fresh fruit cut up into bite sized pieces (optional)
- In a bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, brown or coconut sugar, oil and buttermilk. Set aside for later use.
- In a large bowl stir together the quinoa, whole wheat flour, unbleached all purpose flour (or oat flour), flax, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until combined. Slowly pour the liquid mixture in with the dry mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in the fresh fruit if using.
- Preheat a waffle iron and lightly spray with cooking spray. Coat the waffle iron with batter and allow to cook according to waffle iron directions (approximately 4-5 minutes).
- Repeat. Keep waffles in warm oven until ready to serve.
- To Freeze: Place waffles in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Freeze for 20 minutes then transfer waffles to a Ziploc freezer bag until ready to eat.
Carly @ A Neat Nest
Looks tasty! I am always looking for good breakfast recipes to replace cold cereal. This looks really fun!
Breakfast is my favorite meal! I haven't tried the quinoa multigrain waffles. Looks good!
I love Waffles and these waffles look wonderful. Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
That sounds awesome! Pinned for future reference 🙂
Thanks for sharing on Tutorial Thursdays this month. I look forward to seeing you again this week for the next Linky Party.