It's the time of year that I love! Cooking becomes so easy because I can place some ingredients into the slow cooker and hit start.
That is a beautiful thing because as the days grow shorter my energy seems to slack off it feels like so much work just to throw things into the slow cooker and hit start. And to think, the holidays, THE HOLIDAYS are just around the corner. It is exhausting to go to the stores so I've opted for the easier, point and click ordering method.
The point is, it's time for the slow cooker and it's the busiest time of the year coming up so it's time to simplify as much as possible. Dust it off, and then make this amazing slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup from Life on Food! This month, I'm highlighting Emily of Life on Food as a member of the Secret Recipe Club. Emily has some fantastic recipes on her site that are perfect for colder fall and winter evenings.
These recipes caught my eye including:
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa, Crock Pot Pad Thai Chicken, Slow Cooker Curry Chicken Wings
And now for one of our favorite soup recipes!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup unbleached flour (for gluten free, use arrowroot flour or cornstarch)
- 2 cups milk
- In the slow cooker, place the wild rice, chicken, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, chicken broth and poultry seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred the chicken. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and let mixture bubble for one minute. Slowly whisk in the milk, continuing to stir until the mixture thickens. Add the mixture to the rice and stir to combine.
- Add extra milk as needed until your soup reaches its desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Love this recipe? Check out other great recipes from the Secret Recipe Club this month:
I have made this, too. It is so good!
Perfect recipe for this cold day. Slow cooker recipes are totally the way to go to make a fast dinner!
This looks wonderful and so perfect for these cold days. I agree with you, I'm tired by the end of the day. Cooking in a slow cooker is so much easier.
what a great soup recipe! perfect for chilly weather 🙂
Cookaholic Wife (@cookaholicwife)
I love slow cooker soups!
This sounds wonderful and fits in perfectly with my eating plan.
Wild Rice and Chicken are always a great combo.
I just found some wild rice - in Spain, of all places. I love it and I love wild rice soup... and my new slow cooker. All good - thanks!
Amy (Savory Moments)
I love slow cooker meals! This soups looks perfect for a chilly fall night. Nice SRC pick!
Yummmm! Looks delish!
Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club. Great blog!
Have a nice day!
I'm with you, I LOVE using my crockpot when Fall arrives. Your soup looks so good.
Yum! Great fall reveal choice.