Smoked almonds are the perfect pick me up snack for afternoon munchies. Use them as a substitute for trail mix or for a game time snack.
Let's talk snacks during the summertime. Sometimes....they just get old. Boring. I find myself so busy that I just grab and go with whatever is around. Which is usually chips, crackers, fruit or some other sort of carbohydrate. Carbohydrates fuel my summer, but they aren't the best choice. A small amount of protein as a pick me up in the afternoon takes longer for your body to digest than carbohydrates--which means you will probably feel fuller and eat less.
These smoked almonds are perfect for a game time snack, your next hike or an afternoon snack.
Almonds can be really expensive! To save money, I wait until they go on sale. Often I can find a good sale where they are $4 a pound and stock up so they are less than buying them. (Lately they've been $6.98 a pound--ouch!)
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (you can easily find gluten free, organic, and all natural varieties if needed)
- ½-1 tablespoon seasoned salt (there are a variety of homemade versions online or you can buy it from the store)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl stir together the almonds, oil, liquid smoke and seasoned salt.
- Pour the almonds into a shallow dish in a single layer. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until almonds are browned and toasted. Remove from oven and allow almonds to cool before eating.
Watch the almonds closely after 20 minutes. They can easily go from browned and toasted to burned.
Laura @ Mommy Run Fast
Yum!! I love roasted almonds!