Finals are two weeks away and this semester has definetely been one of the most difficult for me in more ways than one. Nice meals have been replaced with quick, throw together meals. This turkey sausage pasta has become one of my favorites as it takes just twenty minutes to go from the fridge to the table. If you are looking for a healthy meal than look no further than this one--it's simple and easy. Two words that I wish described statistics, but don't. At all.
Turkey Sausage Pasta **20 Minute Meal**
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage (can use Italian ground turkey sausage)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup basil, finely chopped
- 13 oz whole wheat or gluten free pasta (we used spaghetti but penne or rotini works well)
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- In a pan, brown the sausage over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink.
- Drain fat, return sausage to pan. Add the oil and garlic and cook until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and basil, stirring until combined. Cook until mixture is warmed.
- While the sausage and tomato mixture is cooking, prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside noodles.
- To serve: Place desired amount of noodles on plate, top with sausage mixture, then lightly top mixture with a light topping of cheese. Serve with salad or fresh veggies. For a lighter meal, sub cooked spaghetti squash for noodles.
Pan courtesy of Ozeri Green Bakeware
Leave a Reply