French Toast Bites
Delicious gluten free french toast bites tossed in cinnamon and sugar. Crispy on the outside and savory on the inside these french toast bites do not disappoint! (Gluten free, dairy free)
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup milk can substitute dairy free milk or creamer
- 4-5 slices bread can substitute gluten free bread
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon
In a bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar. Set aside.
Cut bread into cubes and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Place the bread into the egg mixture and generously coat the bread on both sides in the mixture. (I like to soak the bread for several minutes on both sides).
Toss the bread on both sides in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Arrange in a pan, in the air fryer or on a baking sheet. See notes for cooking times for each method.
after french toast bites are cooked, serve with a dusting of powdered sugar if desired and maple syrup.
There are several substitutions that you can make in this recipe.
- Bread: substitute gluten free bread for regular bread
- Milk: Exchange regular milk for dairy free milk...you can even use vanilla or plain creamer!
- Sugar: Feel free to use brown sugar, granulated sugar or sugar alternatives here!
There are several cooking methods you can use. We recommend using an air fryer, oven, or frying pan method.
You can arrange the french toast bites in a single layer in a lightly greased air fryer. Then set the temperature to 350 degrees and air fry for 7-10 minutes, flipping half way through cooking time.
Arrange a piece of parchment paper or lightly grease a large baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the french toast bites in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake the bites for 10-15 minutes, flipping halfway through baking time.
You can also pan fry your french toast bites. Lightly grease a 10-12 inch frying pan. Heat the pan on medium heat. Add the french toast bites in a single layer to the pan. Cook for several minutes each side, or until the egg is cooked and set thoroughly and the outside of the french toast bites are lightly browned.
- Refrigerator: French toast bites can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Freezer: Store cooked and cooled french toast bites in an airtight freezer bag for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
If you have frozen your french toast bites, let them thaw at room temperature. To reheat from the fridge or freezer, use one of the following directions below:
- Pan: Heat lightly greased frying pan to medium heat. Heat french toast bites for a minute or two each side until heated through.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange french toast bites on a baking sheet. Heat for 2-3 minutes each side.
- Air fryer: Arrange french toast bites in a single layer in the air fryer. Heat at 350 degrees for 2-3 minutes.