Five Ingredient Meatloaf Recipe
Grab the apron and head to the kitchen because we're making grandma's five ingredient meatloaf recipe tonight! And it can be ready and on the table in about thirty minutes! (Gluten free option, dairy free, soy free, nut free, egg free option, coconut free)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup sauce, divided barbeque, ketchup or tomato sauce
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or quick oats can substitute gluten free
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 whole egg omit for egg free version
Preheat oven or other cooking method to desired cooking temperature. (See notes)
In a bowl, mix together the ground beef, ¼ cup sauce, oats or breadcrumbs, soup mix and egg. Mix for several minutes by hand until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Shape the mixture into a loaf and place in a loaf pan. (See notes for other cooking methods and preparation).
Brush remaining sauce on the top of the meatloaf
Bake for desired cooking time, or until meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Remove from oven and serve.
In all honesty, traditional meatloaf when cooked via the oven will take a good 60-75 minutes to cook. So if you're hoping to have this done and on the table in 30 minutes or less, here are some other cooking methods:
- oven: 350 degrees for 60-75 minutes.
- oven method #2: divide prepared meatloaf into greased mini muffin cups or mini loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- air fryer: 390 degrees for 25 minutes Place tin foil on the bottom and sides of the air fryer, then place the loaf in the air fryer. Do not wrap the meatloaf completely in tin foil.
- pressure cooker: manual button then set for 35-40 minutes. Wrap the meat in tin foil and seal prior to cooking.
side dishes for meatloaf
If were keeping with the OG classic meatloaf recipe, you will definetely want some classic meatloaf side dishes to go with it! I'm talking:
- mashed potatoes
- vegetables--broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts, green beans, asparagus
- toasted bread
- green bean casserole
- green beans and bacon
I'm keeping the ingredient list VERY simple here. And I've included substitutions for allergies too!
- ground beef
- breadcrumbs or oats (use gluten free if needed)
- dry onion soup mix
- egg (can omit if needed)
- sauce-barbeque, ketchup or tomato sauce
I listed three types of sauce you can use.
Either of these is fine to use. It's more of a personal preference. I'm used to ketchup so we usually go for ketchup but whatever you would like!
- Tomato sauce
breadcrumbs or oats?
Again this is really a matter of what you like and enjoy. I would recommend using quick oats though. Using either the oats or breadcrumbs should not alter the taste of the meatloaf.
what type of beef?
There are two types of ground beef that are the best to buy for meatloaf:
This will ensure that your meatloaf doesn't come out too dry.
- 70:30: 70% meat, 30% fat
- 80:20: 80% meat, 20% fat
Meatloaf can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days. Warm to reserve.