A buttery Oreo cookie crust topped with mint chocolate chip ice cream, then drizzled with caramel syrup and topped with whipped cream. We also included a dairy free gluten free asphalt pie version that tastes just as amazing as the original recipe!
The month of June is just as busy for my family as Christmas. Three birthdays and Father's Day all fall within a week of each other. A trip to New Orleans, adjusting to trying to work with three kids underneath me again, working on my masters program and other projects have kept me pretty busy this summer and away from the computer.
It's been a nice break. A needed little hiatus. Some people go to Hawaii, I take a break from electronics. It's a budget friendly little hiatus.
'Since my birthday is one of the three we celebrate in that one week in June, I always love going to Wingers for a slice of asphalt pie. This year I can't, so I began dreaming of a non dairy version to replace it. I didn't quite get it made by my birthday, but close. I made sure to include my favorite brands for you too.
Favorite Gluten Free/Dairy Free Brands for Asphalt Pie:
Goodie Girl Thin Mints for Crust (I did this variety this time, I wanted a really minty pie)
KToos Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (Great for the traditional asphalt pie recipe)
NadaMoo Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream --my FAVORITE brand!! It actually tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream, not mint chocolate chip coconut ice cream.
Salted Caramel Sauce from Downshiftology (This one uses coconut milk)
Almondmilk Caramel Sauce: Love that this one doesn't have the coconutty flavor to it.
Coconut milk whipped cream topping
Rice Whip whipping cream
- 24 Oreos, crushed (or gluten free Oreos)
- 4 tbsp butter, melted (use dairy free for substitution)
- 1 quart mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened (or 2 pints of dairy free version, softened--we used NadaMoo Lotta Mint Chip)
- Salted Caramel Sauce (see links above recipe for dairy free versions)
- Whipped cream
- In bowl mix together the crushed Oreos and butter until combined. Press into the bottom of a pie pan.
- Top crushed Oreos with the softened ice cream. Spread ice cream evenly over the Oreos. Cover and freeze for one hour up to overnight.
- To serve: Remove pie from freezer and allow to soften for several minutes at room temperature for easier slicing. Slice pie, place a piece of pie on a plate, then drizzle with salted caramel sauce and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Leave a Reply