I'm flying back today and you're probably thinking, "why in the world is she posting a DESSERT recipe when everyone else is looking for healthy recipes?" Good question. It could be the altitude mixed with the stress I'm exhibiting at having three kids in a cramped airplane knowing the minute I get off this plane we will have to rush home at break neck speed from the airport in order to get everyone to school and work on time.
It could also be that I understand the need for some sweets when trying to detox from a holiday filled with sugar. Your body isnt so kind giving up the white stuff.
This is a healthy recipe that combines a heathier sugar (coconut sugar) with protein. It's a delicious balance of sweet with the sustaining power of protein to help start those New Year's resolutions off right!
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg white, vanilla and water, whisking until frothy. Add in the sugar, than allow to sit for 1-2 minutes to allow the sugar to dissolve. Add in the pecans and cinnamon mixture, continuing to stir until combined and pecans are well coated.
- Pour the pecans onto the baking sheet and spread out. Bake at 300 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes to allow for even baking.
- Remove from oven when pecan mixture has hardened. (Be careful not to allow too long of baking or they will burn!) Allow the pecans to cool on the baking sheet, then move to an airtight container to store. The pecans will stay good for up to one month.
Leave a Reply