Growing up, having a dad with food allergies meant that we were all on board for Dad's allergy. For years my parents passed off carob as chocolate. (Note to Mom and Dad: Um, NO! it was NOT chocolate).
These chocolate cake mix cookies are food allergy friendly and only use 3 ingredients!! 3!! You can really build off the cookies by making them your own and making a variety of different cookies that fit your family's needs.
I know growing up that it was hard to not get to eat what the other kids got to eat so having foods like this on hand are so nice. (I also know that when you cringe when you spend $4 for a cake mix you kind of want it to go a long way). 🙂 Go ahead and freeze them and pull them out for school lunches or easy desserts.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (go ahead and use your favorite paleo, gluten free, organic or store brand cake mix)
- ½ cup oil (melted coconut oil, olive or canola) or ½ cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- In a mixer, blend together the chocolate cake mix, oil or butter and eggs until smooth.
- Add desired mixins:
- To bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Roll cookies into tablespoon sized balls for normal sized cookies, or teaspoon sized balls for mini cookies (our favorites for school lunches). Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes for tablespoon sized cookies or 6-8 minutes for teaspoon sized cookies. When baked, remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before moving cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- Serve immediately or freeze in airtight containers or plastic freezer bags to serve later.
Thanks a lot! My Husband loves cookies and chocolates but is allergic to certain chocolates. Your recipe is really helpful to us. Keep sharing such healthy recipes.