Spice cake in a mug offers a simple solution for a single-serving dessert that's quick to make and bursting with warm, comforting flavors. This recipe allows you to indulge in the rich taste of spice cake without the need for extensive baking time or a full-sized cake.
Ingredients in Spice Cake in a Mug
It's simple and easy to make this easy dessert. All you need for the cake is:
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
For the frosting you will need:
- Powdered sugar
- Drops of water or milk
- Prepare Mug: Choose a microwave-safe mug. Lightly grease the inside to prevent sticking.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In the mug, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and all the spices until well mixed.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Pour in the milk, vegetable oil, and pumpkin puree. Mix thoroughly until a smooth batter forms.
- Microwave: Place the mug in the microwave and cook on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until the cake has risen and looks set in the middle.
- Let It Cool: Allow the cake to cool for a minute or two before enjoying it directly from the mug or tipping it out onto a plate. Frost if desired.
Simple Easy Dessert
The allure of a spice cake in a mug is its simplicity and swiftness. With just a few pantry staples and minimal effort, you can satisfy your craving for a freshly baked treat in mere minutes. If you love easy desserts like this why not try our cinnamon mug cake or a chocolate mug cake?
Experiment with your favorite spices or add-ins such as chopped nuts, raisins, or even a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream on top. Make it your own by adjusting the spice levels to suit your taste.
To accomodate for any food intolerances or food allergies, all you need are a few simple changes to this recipe:
- gluten free: Use gluten free flour in place of all purpose flour
- vegan and dairy free: the cake itself is naturally vegan but if you are using our glaze recipe, just use water or dairy free milk!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can try baking this in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 15-20 minutes in an oven-safe mug or ramekin until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour or gluten free flour.
Greasing the mug helps prevent the cake from sticking, making it easier to enjoy. Alternatively, you can use a microwave-safe silicone cup or paper liner for easy removal.
If you have leftover cake, it can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a day or so. To maintain freshness, wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Spice Cake in a Mug
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- For the Frosting:
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Drops of water or milk
- Lightly grease a mug. In the mug mix together all the cake ingredients.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds. Check for doneness, continue to cook at 15 second intervals until cake springs back when lightly pressed.
- Mix together the frosting ingredients, pour on top the warm cake. Serve while warm.
Instructions. Store in any leftover cake covered in the refrigerator for several days.