Looking for a delicious dessert to impress your loved ones? Try making a homemade cinnamon pie! With a flaky crust and a sweet, spiced filling, this dessert is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Follow this easy-to-follow guide to create a mouth-5watering cinnamon pie that everyone will love.
Making Cinnamon Pie
There was singing, there was dancing, and now there's a lot of leftover cinnamon pie. My husband got me watching Psych on Netflix several months ago. It's become one of our favorite shows. In one episode it talked about cinnamon pie.
I had no idea what to expect on this one. Cinnamon pie? I love cinnamon, but would a cinnamon pie be overkill?
Early in the afternoon we spent time making up our cinnamon pie. It was just a few simple ingredients and the kids were happy to help make a mess.
We slid the pie into the oven and then went about making treats for tomorrow's countries fair at my daughter's school and doing endless laundry after a night of staying awake with a puking toddler. After a long night, I needed a little singing and dancing and--pie!
This pie recipe is really unique in that it is thin like pumpkin pie batter when you pour it into the pie crust but bakes into three layers. A jelly like, sugary pale bottom layer, a rich egg like dark cinnamon middle layer, and a caramelized crispy cinnamon top. It is wonderful and rich. And all that is required is your fork.
The recipe was so simple and easy to make and took 25% less time than traditional pumpkin pies. See why that's important by scrolling down.
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sugar (coconut sugar/Splenda can be substituted but may yield different results and taste)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 deep dish pie crust
Making the Pie
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cinnamon, sugar, eggs, butter, flour and water until blended well.
- Pour into the pie crust, than place the pie crust on top of a baking sheet before placing in the oven.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until pie is set. If pie hasn't set, cover with a piece of aluminum foil and allow to bake for 10-15 minutes longer to prevent the crust and top from burning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for several hours to allow pie to set firmly. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.
Can You Make This Pie Gluten Free?
Absolutely! All you need to do is substitute a gluten free pie crust and gluten free flour.
What are the Best Pie Crusts?
For gluten free, I suggest Wholly Wholesome gluten free pie crusts. They also make good regular pie crusts too. Other flour pie crusts include Pillsbury Pie Crusts, Marie Calendars Pie Crusts, and Trader Joe's Pie Crusts.
More Amazing Pie Recipes!
Nutrition Facts (per ⅛ slice made with sugar): Calories: 380, Total Fat: 12.7g, Saturated fat 4.4g, Cholesterol 100g, Sodium 180mg, Carbohydrate 63g, Fiber 2g, Sugars 50g, Protein 5g