Finding gluten free food in small towns can be a challenge. Eating gluten free in Kanab Utah was simple and easy with plenty of options! With so many great options available, Kanab is a great place for people who are gluten-free. Whether you're looking for a delicious meal or some essential groceries, you'll be able to find it in Kanab!
Where Is Kanab Utah?
Kanab is a small town located in the southern part of Utah, near the Arizona border. It's known for its stunning scenery, including the nearby Zion National Park and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. It has one of the largest no kill animal sanctuaries and plenty of fun hiking, biking and ATV vehicle trails! While it may seem like a small town, Kanab has a surprising number of restaurants and cafes that cater to gluten free diets. I was able to find plenty of FODMAP friendly and vegan options too.
What Is There to Do In Kanab?
We originally meant to explore Kanab for a few days, but due to a crazy spring storm that ended up dumping 12 inches of snow in spring we had to cut our trip short. We crammed a ton of stuff into a couple of days though and had a lot of fun. Some of our highlights were:
- Best Friends Animal Sanctuary: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah is the largest no-kill animal sanctuary in the United States. Our family signed up a year ago to do a few volunteer shifts. We got to help with cats with feline leukemia. We also got to visit with some dogs and cats waiting for adoption. It was a really great way to be up close and personal with the animals. I suggest if you want to get up close and personal with the animals to sign up for tours or volunteer shifts at the sanctuary. You can work or visit with with pigs, horses, goats, cats, dogs, rabbits and other animals! If you happen to just be passing through town, you can also download a self guided driving tour. You'll get to visit with dogs and cats on one of your stops!
- Peekaboo Canyon is a popular slot canyon located in southern Utah, near the town of Kanab. The canyon is known for its stunning red rock formations, narrow passageways, and unique photo opportunities. You can hike to it or take your ATV or UTV down to the entrance of the canyon and hike the canyon from there.
- Belly of the Dragon is a fun and short cave you can hike through. It's just a bit outside of Kanab, along a scenic and winding road located in southern Utah, near the town of Hanksville.
- Little Hollywood Museum in Kanab, Utah, is a unique museum dedicated to the history of the film industry in the American West. Lot's of old western movies were filmed in Kanab! The museum is located in a historic building that was once a bank, and it features a collection of movie memorabilia, props, costumes, and photos from classic westerns and other films shot in the area. Best of all its free to visit!
There are lot's of other fun places to go and do for in Kanab with families too that you will want to check out and put on your list! We can't wait to go back and visit some!
Gluten Free Kanab Eating
Small towns are my nemesis on finding gluten free food. Kanab probably had some of the best gluten free options for a small town that I've ever seen! You can find everything from grocery stores to fast food to bakeries and restaurants there. Here is my list for some of the best gluten free eating I found:
There are plenty of fast food places in Kanab. We stopped in at Wendy's our first night there but the town also has a Champ's Chicken, McDonald's, Subway, and Big Al's Burgers!
Are you craving something sweet? I was able to find plenty of packaged gluten free treats in Kanab at Glaziers Marketplace and Honeys Marketplace.
For bakery fresh gluten free treats, the name Wild Flour Bakery came up for vegan and gluten free treats. I was told by a local that Kanab Creek Bakery sometimes carries gluten free treats and The Soda Fountain had a variety of fun mixed sodas.
- Wild Thyme Cafe offers a variety of gluten-free options, including sandwiches, salads, and entrees.
- Sego Restaurant has a gluten-free menu that includes items like fish and chips, pasta, and burgers.
- At Rocking V Cafe you'll find plenty of gluten-free dishes, including pancakes, waffles, and omelets.
- Lotsa Motsa Pizza is a pizza place that offers gluten-free crust and a variety of gluten-free toppings.
- Iron Horse has a great center of town location! You'll love walking into this restaurant that is Kanab's go to BBQ spot!
- If you're at the animal sanctuary, Angel Village Cafe offers a full vegan menu. Some of the options are gluten free or gluten free on request. A full buffet is only $5!
Check out Some of Our Other Favorite Gluten Free Eating in Utah!
Kanab really reminded me a lot of Moab, Utah. If you are a fan of red rocks, I suggest a trip there. There are plenty of gluten free restaurants in Moab! A short ways outside of Utah is Mesquite, Nevada. I've highlighted some family friendly things to do in Mesquite Nevada too!