Making a white chocolate ballerina cake is a fun and creative way to express your love for baking and cake decoration. This tutorial will guide you through the steps to make a beautiful and delicious ballerina cake.Jump to Recipe
Making Your Ballerina Cake
Bring your next cake to life with this ballerina cake tutorial! With step-by-step instructions and expert tips, you can create a masterpiece worthy of any ballerina. Learn the basics of baking and decorating, mix up buttercream and fondant for sculpting, and transform ordinary ingredients into an impressive ballerina cake!
Assemble the Supplies and Ingredients
Before you dive into making your ballerina cake, make sure you have the right supplies and ingredients on hand. First, gather all of your basic baking tools including a stand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, parchment paper, icing spatula, pastry bags and tips. Then gather your cake ingredients like eggs, butter, sugar and flour. Finally, you’ll need some edible decorating supplies such as edible glitter, and food coloring paste or gels.
Make the Cake Base
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line two 8 inch round cake pans with parchment paper. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Then, in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides as you go. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and until everything is just combined then pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and spread it out into an even layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of each cake. Let cool for about 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Add Decorations and Finish Touches
The fun part has arrived! Add on the decorations and give your ballerina cake that final touch. Make buttercream frosting swirls around the outside of the cake. Sprinkle on some edible glitter for an extra sparkly touch. Finally add some white chocolate sugar pearl-dusted ballerinas on top to decorate with to complete your masterpiece!
A Cake Any Ballerina Will Love!
It's been ten years since my daughter was born and she has grown to be the most incredibly beautiful girl. She is smart, witty and full of life. Currently, she wants to grow up to be a dancing concert pianist who does her own vocals and performs surgery on animals on the side. Oh, she also wants to ride horses as a hobby and tells me often that she will have a stable full of them. While she may have to scale down her dreams just a little. But she will be encouraged to accomplish anything she sets her mind to. And you never know, she very well might be the first concert pianist who dances and sings and plays the piano at the same time.
As a Mom, I want all of her dreams to come true. My job is to encourage her to attain her dreams, pick her up and hold her when she falls, keep her from over extending herself, and make sure she continues to have fun.
White Chocolate Ballerina Cake
- wax paper
- piping bags
- ballerina clipart
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups + 2 tablespoon unbleached all purpose flour can substitute gluten free flour blend
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the Frosting
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease two 8-inch (20cm) round cake pans. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar together until light and frothy, then add the vanilla extract and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, whisking gently to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and smooth the tops. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans before removing.
To Make The Ballerinas:
- Slide the ballerina templates (or clip art) right side up underneath the wax paper. You will want to make sure that you are able to closely space the ballerinas together without overlapping while you are working.
- Open the bottle of white glitter and have it close to where you will be working with the chocolate.Melt the white chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave. Remove mixture from the microwave and stir. Continue to microwave in 15-30 second intervals until chocolate is completely melted. Once the chocolate has melted, pour it into the squeeze bottle.
- With the squeeze bottle, trace the outline of the ballerina first. Fill in the ballerina with additional white chocolate, smoothing with a toothpick to remove any bubbles that may form. Sprinkle with edible glitter. Allow the ballerinas to harden before placing on cake.
To Make the Frosting:
- Beat the butter and shortening in a mixing bowl for several minutes until it becomes smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar, continuing to beat until mixture is combined. Add the salt, then add the white chocolate and vanilla until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one of the cakes on a serving plate and spread a generous layer of frosting on top. Repeat with the other cake, then spread a thin layer of buttercream over the entire cake. Pipe additional buttercream on top and around the cake.
- Decorate with white chocolate ballerinas, edible glitter and other decorations.