As the leaves change and a crisp breeze fills the air, it's the perfect time to indulge in the warm, comforting flavors of fall. Enter these delicious pumpkin spice waffles—a delicious twist on a breakfast classic that brings the essence of autumn to your morning routine!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Waffles
The great thing about these pumpkin waffles is you only need four simple ingredients! And it's super simple to adapt the recipe for any food intolerances or food allergies!
- Pancake mix or yellow cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumkin spice
That's it! Let's get started making our waffles!
Making the Batter
- Combine Pancake Mix and Pumpkin Spice: In a mixing bowl, add the pancake mix (or yellow cake mix) and pumpkin spice. The mix serves as the base, providing a quick and convenient way to achieve that perfect waffle texture.
- Add Pumpkin Puree: Introduce the star ingredient—pumpkin puree. This not only imparts the signature fall flavor but also contributes to the waffles' moist and fluffy texture.
- Pour in the Water: Gradually pour in the water while stirring the mixture. Adjust the amount if needed to achieve a smooth, pourable consistency.
- Mix Until Just Combined: Stir the ingredients until just combined. Be cautious not to overmix; a few lumps are fine and will help contribute to the waffles' texture.
4 ingredients for pumpkin spice waffles: pancake mix or yellow cake mix, water or milk, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice
Place ingredients in a bowl
Mix pumpkin waffle ingredients until smooth.
place your waffle batter in the waffle maker
1. Preheat Your Waffle Iron:
Ensure your waffle iron is thoroughly preheated. This will help you get those beautiful golden brown exterior waffles!
2. Use Non-Stick Spray:
Even if your waffle iron is non-stick, a quick spray of non-stick cooking spray ensures easy removal and enhances the waffle's texture.
3. Control the Batter Amount:
Pour just enough batter to cover the waffle grid without overflowing. This helps in achieving evenly cooked waffles.
4. Check for Doneness:
Keep an eye on the waffles as they cook. Once they are golden brown and crisp, they're ready. Avoid opening the waffle iron too soon to prevent the waffles from tearing.
5. Keep Waffles Warm:
If making a batch, keep finished waffles warm in a preheated oven (around 200°F or 93°C) until ready to serve.
- Maple Syrup Drizzle: Let the classic flavor shine by drizzling your pumpkin spice waffles with pure maple syrup.
- Whipped Cream and Cinnamon Sprinkle: Elevate your waffles with a dollop of freshly whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon for a touch of indulgence.
- Pecans or Walnuts for Crunch: Add a delightful crunch by topping your waffles with chopped pecans or walnuts.
These pumpkin spice waffles are super simple to make if you have food allergies or food intolerances. All you need to do is substitute a yellow cake mix or pancake mix that fits with your needs. I use gluten free for me and regular for the family.
You can also use milk instead of water in the recipe. Using dairy free milk works perfectly fine too!
Cake Mix or Pancake Mix?
If you like a sweeter waffle, use the cake mix. For a more traditional waffle, use pancake mix. My kids LOVE using lot's of syrup so I opt to use pancake mix with theirs knowing their waffles will be drowning in syrup. For me, I go with the cake mix since I like just a little bit of syrup. It's all about personal preference.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's best to use pure pumpkin puree for this recipe to control the sweetness and spice levels. Canned pumpkin pie filling may contain added sugars and spices.
Yes, you can prepare the batter the night before and store it in the refrigerator. Give it a gentle stir before cooking.
Absolutely! Allow the waffles to cool completely, then place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer bag for easy storage. Reheat in a toaster or oven.
If you don't have pumpkin spice, you can make your own by combining cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Adjust the ratios to your taste preference.
Pumpkin Spice Waffles
- waffle maker
- 2 cups pancake mix or yellow cake mix
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- In a mixing bowl, add the pancake mix and pumpkin spice. The pancake mix serves as the base, providing a quick and convenient way to achieve that perfect waffle texture.
- Stir in the water and pumpkin puree.
- Stir the ingredients until just combined. Be cautious not to overmix; a few lumps are acceptable and contribute to the waffles' texture.
- Cook waffles according to waffle maker instructions until golden brown. Serve.