Chocolate pumpkin cupcakes bring together the rich, indulgent flavors of chocolate with the warmth seasonal delight of pumpkin. This delightful dessert is perfect for autumn gatherings or any time you're craving a treat that captures the season.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
To make these cupcakes, it's pretty simple. the cupcakes require just a few ingredients, and then you'll pipe buttercream frosting on top!
Mix together chocolate pumpkin mix ingredients
frost your pumpkin cupcakes
Ingredients for chocolate pumpkin cupcakes
Place a lindor chocolate on the top of each cupcake
Let's gather your ingredients! For the cupcakes you'll need:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
● pumpkin puree
● pumpkin pie spice
And for the frosting you will want to gather:
● vanilla extract
● powdered sugar
● 1 package of Lindor chocolates
- red, yellow, blue food coloring
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a bowl, pour and stir your cake mix and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin puree and oil.
- Combine Mixtures: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Bake: Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with the batter. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Making the Frosting
- prepare the frosting by adding the butter and vanilla into a stand mixer and
mix for at least 2-3 minutes. The butter and vanilla will become light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until combined. If the frosting becomes too dry, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove about ½ cup of the frosting and put it into a small bowl. Add drops of red, yellow and blue food coloring until you get a nice brown color, then fill into a piping bag fitted with a wilton 21 tip.
- Color the rest of the frosting orange by adding red and yellow food coloring. Fill into a piping bag fitted with a wilton 2D tip.
- Pipe a small dollop of orange frosting onto the middle of a cupcake. Unwrap a Lindor chocolate and place onto the dollop of frosting.
- Create the pumpkin shape by starting at the base of the chocolate ball and finishing at the top. Repeat the process around the chocolate ball until it is covered.
- Create the stem by piping small tuffs of brown frosting on top.
You can easily substitute ingredients to accomodate this recipe for your needed food allergies or intolerances.
- Dairy free: To make this recipe dairy free, substitute dairy free butter and dairy free milk. You will also want to use Lindor non dairy chocolate.
- Gluten free: To make this recipe gluten free, you will want to use a gluten free chocolate cake mix.
- Vegan: This recipe is simple to make vegan! Substitute dairy free milk and dairy free butter along with non dairy chocolate truffles. Also make sure to use a vegan chocolate cake mix. You can substitute the eggs in this recipe with egg replacer or flax eggs.
Yes, you can use fresh pumpkin puree in place of canned. Just make sure it's well-drained and has a similar consistency.
Store the cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. If frosted, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Absolutely! The frosting can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just let it come to room temperature and re-whip before using.
Consider topping the cupcakes with chocolate shavings, a dusting of cocoa powder, or a sprinkle of cinnamon for an added visual and flavor element.
Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 7 ounce pumpkin puree half can
- 3 whole eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup water
- Frosting ingredients:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons tablespoons milk as needed
- red, yellow and blue food coloring
- 1 package Lindor chocolates
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the chocolate cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, vegetable oil,
- pumpkin pie spice, and water and whisk together.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill ⅔ full with batter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by adding the butter and vanilla into a stand mixer and
- mix for at least 2 minutes, until butter and vanilla are fully combined and butter is fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until combined. If the frosting is too dry, add
- milk 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Remove about ½ cup of the frosting and put it into a small bowl. Add drops of red,
- yellow and blue food coloring until you achieve a brown color, then fill into a piping bag
- fitted with a wilton 21 tip.
- Color the rest of the frosting orange by adding red and yellow food coloring. Fill into a
- piping bag fitted with a wilton 2D tip.
- Once cupcakes are baked, let cool completely.
- Pipe a small dollop of orange frosting onto the middle of a cupcake. Unwrap a Lindor
- chocolate and place onto the dollop of frosting.
- Create the pumpkin shape by starting at the base of the chocolate ball and finishing at
- the top. Repeat the process around the chocolate ball until it is covered.
- Create the stem by piping small tuffets of brown frosting on top.