Who's got time for cooking? I don't! That's why I started BurntApple! Simple allergy friendly meals often using five ingredients or less and ready in under thirty minutes! Welcome home...to a REAL home! One that is busy, on the go and doesn't have time to sit all day in the kitchen!
Behind the Burnt Apple Name...
My Dad gets credit for the website name. He would call my cooking a beautiful disaster in those early days of cooking. I even invented a rubber birthday cake for him!
After my Dad's diagnosis, and as I grew up and then started my own family I was shocked by how many people in my own family and my extended family had food allergies! in my late teens I started to experience stomach issues and problems, and after my third child I was diagnosed with colitis and now no longer eat gluten, certain types of dairy and other foods. I have family members and my kids friends who have all sorts of allergies like yeast, egg, dairy, gluten, coconut and more! When family and friends would come over I would try to have a treat available that they could enjoy. I shared the recipes online so my friends and family could see the recipe modifications I made for their kids treats and the website grew from there...
When You Have Food Allergies....
There are a couple of frustrating things you live with when you have food allergies:
- If you are craving something, most of the time you will probably be making that craving from scratch in the kitchen...you can't always find what you crave!
- Sometimes you're running to multiple stores to find what you want. I usually find different types of foods at different stores.
- It's EXPENSIVE! I cannot believe how much I spend on my food. That's why all of our recipes try to stay at five ingredients or less!
Other Notable 'Burnt' Moments
- Making muffins that were so hard my ex husband threw them at a wall and they broke the wall!
- Going through A LOT of dishwashers until I realized that dishwasher did not mean you just throw anything into the dishwasher.
- Both husbands have had to have an appliance fund for all the appliances I break.
- My sister in law telling my story of making banana bread for the first time for the family with banana chunks that had sunk to the bottom of the loaf.
- I cannot fry anything.
- The kids never flinch when the fire alarm goes off in the house partly because it goes off at least monthly.
- In fact when my daughter showed up with her friends for her high school graduation party, some of the butter and cheese for the meal I was making had fallen and burned in the oven and sent smoke through the whole house. The kids were nice about it, but it was like there was a fog storm of smoke in the house!
If you're getting started on your journey, here's some help to get you started!