There are some flavors that just scream winter and pomegranate and orange is one of those. This meal is so adaptable to whatever you are feeling for breakfast that day. Best part it's only five ingredients or less and takes just a few minutes to make so you're out the door with a hot breakfast in minutes! (GF, DF, SF, NF, Egg Free, Vegan, Vegetarian)
The History Behind...
Pomegranate arils are some of the most fun things to eat! They pop in your mouth with an explosion of sweet and a hint of sour fruity flavor in every bite. Pomegranates have long been known as the original forbidden fruit.
This recipe starts off with some toast. This is the part of the recipe that makes it simple and easy to adapt to gluten free or non gluten is the toast. I pop in a couple of gluten free pieces of toast for me, and the kids like gluten filled white toast.
This is where it gets personal. I like a fried egg on top of my toast. My husband likes sausage. Another daughter loves mashed avocado. You could even try some cream cheese. Whatever you decide to go on top of your toast is your personal preference here. No judgements.
Now it's time to add some flavor! Pomegrantes are among my favorite winter fruits. They are fun to tear apart and leave a nice rich red juice. I love how they pop in your mouth. For ease, you can buy fresh pomegranate arils from stores like Kroger or from brands like Pom Poms. Then sprinkle them on top of your toast and egg. Or toast and sausage. Or avocado toast.
Fresh navel oranges are the best for this recipe but you can use some small mandarin oranges too. Just sprinkle a few on top of your meal next.
The Grand Finale
For the grand finale you can sprinkle some feta cheese on top. Some people like a drizzle of balsamic. This is a personal breakfast, so make it your way!
What is The Smear?
It's the next layer on top of your toast. Fried egg, sausage and mashed avocado are our top choices. You could even try a smear of cream cheese. Since sausage is traditionally thought of as being a meat product, you can also use some plant based sausage too. We used Big Mountain Foods sausage. I cooked them quickly on the gridle while I went back and forth to the kitchen getting ready for work. All their products are plant based and they have everything from breakfast "meat" favorites to dinner time "meat" staples. The best part is you can find their products easily at stores like Walmart!
Like Pomegranate? You'll LOVE These Recipes!
- Pomegranate Orange Salsa (GF, DF, SF, NF, Egg Free, Vegan, Vegetarian)
- Pomegranate Orange Walnut Salad (GF, DF, SF, Egg Free, Vegan, Vegetarian)
- White Chocolate Pomegranate Bread (GF, DF, SF, NF, Vegan, Vegetarian)
- Winter BBQ Grilled Chicken and Vegetables (GF, DF, NF, SF, Egg Free)
Pomegranate Orange Breakfast
- 4 slices toast
- Cream cheese, mashed avocado, fried egg or sausage links, cooked
- Pomegranate arils, orange slices
- Feta cheese or balsamic vinegar
- If cooking sausage, you will want to start cooking it according to package directions. Shortly before the sausage is done cooking, begin to prepare the rest of the meal. If you are topping your breakfast with an egg, begin to cook your egg then begin to prep the rest of your meal.
- Place toast in toaster and cook to desired doneness. Remove from toaster and smear with mashed avocado, cream cheese, sausage or egg. You can even use several different combinations if you would like!
- Sprinkle pomegranates and arils and oranges over the top. Sprinkle feta cheese or drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top. Serve warm.
This is a paid sponsorship from Big Mountain Foods. Our opinion are our own.