When you've been out all day and are hungry, this campfire pizza can be made in just minutes! Enjoy a piping-hot, homemade pizza cooked over an open flame. It also can be made with under five ingredients making it easy to pack on your trip!
These pizzas can be enjoyed for a backyard campfire get together or during a summer camping trip. You can also easily adapt this to make on the grill too. This recipe pairs well with our skillet chocolate chip cookies and a slice of campfire french toast for breakfast.
You need just a few simple ingredients to make this recipe:
- Stonefire Original Naan rounds or individual premade pizza crusts.
- Pepperoni or other pizza toppings
- Pizza Sauce or barbeque sauce for barbeque pizza
- Pizza cheese
On each round, place one tablespoon of barbeque sauce or pizza sauce. Top with pizza toppings and cheese. Arrange pizzas on, bake on pan in propane stove on medium heat or grill on medium heat. If cooking on propane stove, cover with tin foil or lid. Bake for approximately 3-7 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and eat.
You can easily make these available for a variety of different food allergies, preferences or intolerances.
- Gluten free: For a gluten free version, use gluten free naan bread.
- Vegan/Vegetarian: In place of pepperoni, use plant based pepperoni. You can also use vegetables. You will also want to substitute dairy free cheese if making these vegan.
Here are some variations for making your pizzas:
- Pizza Dough: You can use naan bread, pita bread, or even premade pizza dough or crusts to make these pizzas.
- Classic Margherita Twist: Ingredients: Fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- BBQ Chicken Delight: Ingredients: Shredded cooked chicken, red onions, barbecue sauce, and a blend of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
- Veggie Extravaganza: Ingredients: Colorful bell peppers, red onions, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, olives, and a sprinkle of feta cheese.
- Pesto and Sun-Dried Tomato: Ingredients: Pesto sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.
- Hawaiian Luau: Ingredients: Ham or Canadian bacon, pineapple chunks, and a mix of mozzarella and provolone cheeses.
- Breakfast Campfire Delight: Ingredients: Crumbled cooked bacon, scrambled eggs, diced bell peppers, and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Mediterranean: Ingredients: Kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, cherry tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Absolutely! Using store-bought pre-made pizza dough is a time-saving option, perfect for quick and easy campfire pizza.
Preheat the grill adequately, keep the dough thin, and use minimal toppings. Covering the pizza with a lid or dome also speeds up the cooking time.
Absolutely! You can use a simple mix of tomato paste, olive oil, and dried herbs as a quick and flavorful alternative to traditional pizza sauce.
Keep the heat at medium-high and monitor the pizza closely. Rotating the pizza on the grill helps ensure even cooking without burning the crust.
Yes, you can find pre-made gluten-free pizza dough or make your own using alternative flours. Just ensure it's rolled out thinly for quicker cooking.
Certainly! Prepare the next pizza while the first one cooks. Just ensure you have enough prepped ingredients for a seamless process.
- grill or campfire
- 1 whole Stonefire Original Naan rounds or individual premade pizza crusts.
- 7 slices Pepperoni
- 1-2 tablespoons Pizza Sauce or barbeque sauce for barbeque pizza
- ¼ cup Pizza cheese
- For each round, spoon a tablespoon of barbecue or pizza sauce onto the pizza base. Add desired toppings and a layer of cheese. Place the pizzas on a pan and cook on a propane stove over medium heat or grill at medium heat. If using a propane stove, cover with tin foil or a lid. Bake for approximately 3-7 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt. Take the pizzas off the heat, and they're ready to enjoy.