Deliciously creamy dairy free chocolate chip hot cocoa! Just add chocolate chips and cream then stir until smooth and creamy! (Dairy free option, gluten free, nut free, soy free, egg free, vegan option, vegetarian option, FODMAP friendly)Jump to Recipe
Chocolate chips hot chocolate is a wonderful winter beverage. Enjoy it as a winter treat by the fire, as a warm beverage after spending time outside in the cold, or as a replacement for coffee in the morning.
With just a few simple ingredients and minutes to make, this delicious drink can be enjoyed all winter long! It's easier to make then using hot chocolate packets. Throw those hot cocoa packets because after making this treat you won't want to go back!
You only need two ingredients--chocolate chips and milk!
- Chocolate chips: For a sweet hot chocolate use milk chocolate chips. You can also use a combination of semi sweet and milk chocolate chips.
- Milk: You will want a full fat milk or cream. (See substitutions for dairy free vegan FODMAP friendly version below).
To make this recipe dairy free, vegan, vegetarian and FODMAP friendly, use this simple substitutions!
- Chocolate chips: Use dairy free chocolate chips.
- Milk: To make this recipe dairy free use a dairy free unflavored creamer like NutPods or a dairy free heavy whipping cream like Silk or Country Crock.
Making Chocolate Chip Hot Chocolate
When chocolate melts, it breaks apart the molecules in cocoa butter, changing the chocolate from a solid to liquid state. What results is a rich and creamy chocolate!
To make this recipe, pour some chocolate chips into a mug. Heat your cream or milk on the stovetop or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warm. Pour the milk over the chocolate chips in the mug and allow to melt for a couple of minutes.
Stir or use an immersion blender until hot cocoa is smooth.
Sugar Free Low Calorie
You can use low calorie chocolate chips or sugar free chocolate chips. I would recommend using this product. It's actually low calorie AND sugar free!
White Hot Chocolate
Substitute white chocolate chips. You can substitute dairy free white chocolate chips too.
Mint Hot Cocoa
Add a dash of peppermint extract or a few crushed candy canes. This tastes great with chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
Stir in a bit of caramel sauce to your hot cocoa. You can use sugar free caramel sauce like this one, or a dairy free caramel sauce.
Doesn't hot cocoa just taste better with toppings? If you love hot cocoa add some toppings like:
- Whipped cream--dairy free whipped cream is okay too!
- Chocolate chips
- Crushed peppermints
Yes, if you don't want to use the microwave, just place the chocolate chips and milk or cream in a saucepan. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
No, your milk doesn't need to boil. You will just heat your milk until it is steaming. If using the saucepan, it should steam over medium to medium low heat. In the microwave, that's about 1-2 minutes of heating 8 oz of milk or cream.
Love Hot Chocolate? Try These Variations!!
Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Hot Cocoa
- Immersion Blender optional
- 4-6 tbsp chocolate chips
- 6-8 ounces milk or cream
- Place chocolate chips on the bottom of a large mug (approximately 4 tablespoons of chocolate chips for 6 ounces of milk or cream and 6 tablespoons of chocolate chips for 8 ounces of milk or cream.
- In a separate mug, heat milk for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. Pour over the chocolate chips and allow to sit for approximately one minute before stirring. For creamier consistency try using an immersion blender.
This was so simple and delicious! It was perfect for my daughter, who's lactose intolerant! We added marshmallows to the top and she loved it!
I love your tip about using the immersion blender. It really does help make this hot cocoa creamier even though it's dairy free.
Super easy to make. I love all the options suggested. Since I love hot chocolate, will try your recipe with chocolate chips soon.
I like to go vegan for veganary and always miss my hot chocolate - this was perfect and has convinced me not to go back to my regular chocolate - non dairy all the way now!
I have been spending so much $$ on vegan hot cocoa packets so I can enjoy hot chocolate with my kiddos. This is so much cheaper (and truly, it tastes so good!) This is my new go-to with my vegan chocolate chips!