There are death by chocolate brownies, and then death by vanilla brownies. These death by vanilla bars are perfect all year round! With a nice rich brownie flavor and a delicious vanilla frosting, these vanilla bars will definetely get added to your brownie rotation!
You caught me! This recipe is not our typical 5 ingredient or less recipe. But I do have some delicious vanilla based desserts like our Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream and these delicious sugar cookie bars.
You need just a few simple ingredients to make these delicious vanilla bars! For this recipe you will need:
- white chocolate chips
For the frosting you will need:
- powdered sugar
- milk or water
Instructions for making vanilla bars
For the bars:
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan and dust it with flour. Set the prepared pan aside, reserving ½ cup of white chocolate chips.
In a bowl, melt the butter along with the remaining white chocolate chips, stirring until a smooth consistency is achieved. Incorporate the remaining flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and eggs into the mixture. Stir just until the batter is smooth. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and then transfer the entire mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once done, remove the brownies from the pan and allow them to cool completely before applying frosting.
For the frosting:
In a mixing bowl, combine all the frosting ingredients on medium speed until the mixture is smooth and the frosting attains a fluffy texture. If necessary, add an additional tablespoon of water or milk to achieve your desired consistency.
Frost the cooled brownies and sprinkle them as desired. Proceed to cut them into squares for serving.
Everyone should enjoy these delicious vanilla bars! Here are some common substitutions you can make to accommodate food allergies and intolerances:
- Gluten free: Use gluten free flour in place of the all purpose flour
- Vegan: Substitute an egg replacer in place of the eggs. Use plant based butter, and dairy free white chocolate chips. For the eggs you can also try using applesauce, mashed bananas, or commercial egg replacers as substitutes. Keep in mind that this may slightly alter the texture.
- Dairy free: Use dairy free white chocolate chips and dairy free butter.
- Use REAL vanilla! We use Ghiradelli or Guittard white chocolate chips because those brands use real vanilla. I believe they now also carry a dairy free white chocolate chip.
- Use real vanilla in your recipe. Avoid using imitation vanilla.
- For more flavor, use 1-2 vanilla beans scraped in place of the vanilla.
You will need a 9x13 inch pan to make these bars.
You can store these brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days. For longer storage, consider refrigerating or freezing them. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
Death by vanilla bars are characterized by an intense vanilla flavor, often achieved through the use of high-quality vanilla ingredients. The combination of white chocolate and additional vanilla components also adds to the rich vanilla taste.
While you can use regular vanilla extract, opting for pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste can elevate the flavor profile of death by vanilla brownies. The use of quality vanilla enhances the overall richness.
Feel free to get creative with mix-ins such as chopped nuts, dark chocolate chunks, or even swirls of caramel. These additions can complement the vanilla flavor.
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour as a substitute for all-purpose flour to make a gluten-free version of these brownies. Ensure that other ingredients, such as baking powder and mix-ins, are also gluten-free.
A toothpick inserted in the center should come out with a few moist crumbs but not wet batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees, keeping a close eye on them toward the end to avoid over-baking.
Allowing the brownies to cool completely before frosting prevents the frosting from melting or becoming too runny. It also ensures that the frosting sets properly, creating a smooth and appealing finish.
Yes, you can prepare these brownies in advance. Bake and store them without frosting, then frost them closer to the event to ensure the freshest taste and appearance.
Death by Vanilla Bars
- mixer optional
- 9x13 inch pan
- To make the bars:
- ½ cup butter
- 1 (12 ounce) bag white chocolate chips
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- For the frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 tablespoons milk or water
- To make the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan and then flour. Set pan aside. Set aside ½ cup white chocolate chips. In a bowl, melt butter and remaining white chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Stir in the remaining flour, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and eggs. Stir just until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips, then pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Brownies are done when toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove brownies from pan and allow brownies to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients on medium speed until smooth and frosting is fluffy. Add additional tablespoon of water or milk if needed to achieve the consistency you want. Frost and sprinkle the brownies. Cut into squares to serve.