Ham fried rice with green onion, diced ham, egg, vegetables and a splash of soy and sesame sauce. A simple meal ready in 15 minutes or less!
Origins of Ham Fried Rice
Ham fried rice is a Chinese meal dating back to the Sui Dynasty. It's also a popular street food in Asia. There are many vendors that serve variations of ham fried rice. It's a simple and easy meal to make.
I am always looking for quick and easy meals. This Healthy Ham Fried Rice Recipe is perfect for that. With a busy family and a baby who somehow decides that right around dinnertime is her meltdown time, it can be tough. Quick, simple, easy and healthy. That's my motto. This recipe for chinese fried rice promises to deliver all of that in one. You will love this, although my husband says that he loved it, but next time he wants it with orange chicken. Somehow my meal gave him a craving for it. The kids asked for it again, and I loved the ease and convienence of it
On a side note, I'm up to 6.5 miles and averaging 10:30 minute miles. Not great, but decent. I"m just working and training hard for a half marathon at the end of the summer. It seems crazy to think that I will be running 13 miles by the end of summer. Right now it just seems so impossible.
While we use carrots and peas in this recipe, you can use any combination of vegetables you want! Variations include water crescent, snow peas, sugar snap peas, zucchinni or squash.
This meal is simple and easy to store!
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for several days
- Store in the freezer in a Ziploc freezer bag or an airtight container for up to one month!
- 1 microwaveable brown rice cup
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup diced cooked ham
- ¼ cup cooked vegetables (we used peas and carrots)*
- 2 tsp gluten free soy sauce
- Splash of sesame oil (optional)
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Once rice is cooked, set aside to cool.
- Place the egg in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and heat for one minute to one minute and fifteen seconds. Set eggs aside on a separate plate.
- To the rice, add the vegetables, ham, soy sauce and splash of sesame seed oil (if using). Cut the egg into bite sized pieces and stir into rice mixture. Serve.
We used Minute Brown Rice Cups in this recipe. To store, place mixture in an airtight container for up to several days. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop. Ham fried rice can also be stored in the freezer in a Ziploc freezer bag or airtight container for up to one month.
Originally Published 5/2012
Leave a Reply