If you're a fan of indulgent desserts, then you're in for a treat! Today I'm making a delicious recipe for a copycat version of Chili's famous molten lava cake. The best part? You only need five simple ingredients to recreate this mouthwatering dessert!
The Allure of Copycat Recipes
In recent years, copycat recipes have gained serious popularity. For me, because I am gluten free it allows me to try and eat all those great recipes I see and hear about at home! Making copycat recipes at home not only saves some money but also gives you the freedom to customize flavors and ingredients to suit your preferences. Our five-ingredient copycat Chili's molten lava cake recipe is a prime example of a scrumptious dessert you can whip up in no time!
My website features so many wonderful copycat recipes that are adapted to fit any dietary need or preference. I've got fun recipes like Ikea Swedish meatballs to Red Lobster cheddar bay biscuits. And they are just five ingredients!
The Magic of Chili's Molten Lava Cake
Chili's molten cake is a true indulgence, combining the richness of chocolate with a warm, gooey center that oozes out with every bite. The dessert is traditionally served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce, creating a harmonious blend of flavors. With our simplified version, you can experience the same divine taste and texture right in your own kitchen.
There are just five ingredients needed to make your dessert. You will need:
- Chocolate fudge cake mix
- Caramel sauce
- Vanilla ice cream
- Magic shell
Making your cake gluten free
This cake is SUPER simple to make gluten free! All you need to do is substitute a gluten free cake mix. If you can't find chocolate fudge, you can use a regular chocolate cake. Cooking times for the cake should be the same.
Making a dairy free version of this dessert
You can also make this cake dairy free too! Use a dairy free fudge cake mix, dairy free caramel sauce, dairy free vanilla ice cream and even dairy free magic shell!
Making dairy free magic shell
To make dairy free magic shell, heat ½ cup melted coconut oil, ½ cup unsweetened cocoa power and 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, maple syrup, and coconut oil until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a small jar or container with a lid.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. If the mixture hardens in the refrigerator, reheat in the oven for 15-20 seconds then stir well prior to serving.
- To use, simply pour the magic shell over ice cream or other frozen treats.
- The magic shell will harden immediately.
- The dairy free magic shell stores for up to one month in the refrigerator
To Make The Molten Lava Cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease your mini bundt pan.Get Mini Bundt Pans Here
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your chocolate fudge cake according to package directions.
Fill each of the bundt molds ¾ of the way full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 13-18 minutes. Do not overbake! You want the centers to stay nice and fudgy while the outside of the cake is cooked and hardened. It might take a little trial and error.
Immediately remove the cakes from the oven and serve warm.
The best part! Serving up your molten lava cakes
Note: If you are not serving your cake immediately from the oven please see our frequently asked questions for tips on reheating.
To serve: Remove the cake from the oven and place on a serving plate. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake, then drizzle with caramel sauce and drizzle the magic shell over the top of the vanilla ice cream. Serve.
Other toppings for your cake:
If you want, you can choose from some other toppings for your cake like:
- Fruit sauce
- Hot fudge sauce
- Chocolate sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Coconut flakes
- Sprig of mint
Storing Your Cake
I really recommend serving the cakes warm. But if you can't, you can store the cake and then reheat. Cook your cakes as directed in the bundt pans, then cover and store in the fridge for up to two days. You can also cool the cakes to room temperature after baking then wrap and freeze them for up to three months. Thaw before reheating.
Frequently asked questions
How do I reheat the cake?
To reheat in the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the refrigerated (or frozen) cake on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes for refrigerated or 15 minutes for frozen cake. Serve as directed above.
To reheat in the microwave: Place your cake on a microwave dish. Cover your cake with a damp paper towl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, or until the cake is heated.
to reheat your cake in the air fryer: Line the air fryer basket with tin foil. Lightly spray the tin foil with cooking spray. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 4-7 minutes.
Copycat Chili's Molten Lava Cake
- mini bundt pan
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- vanilla ice cream
- caramel sauce
- magic shell
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your chocolate fudge cake according to package directions. Fill each of the bundt molds ¾ of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 13-18 minutes. Do not overbake! You want the centers to stay nice and fudgy while the outside of the cake is cooked and hardened. It might take a little trial and error.Immediately remove the cakes from the oven and serve warm.
- Note: If you are not serving your cake immediately from the oven please see our frequently asked questions for tips on reheating. To serve: Remove the cake from the oven and place on a serving plate. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake, then drizzle with caramel sauce and drizzle the magic shell over the top of the vanilla ice cream. Serve.