Peeps marshmallow chocolate chip cookies are a fun and delicious twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie. These soft and chewy cookies are filled with melted Peeps marshmallows and chocolate chips, creating a sweet and gooey center.
Ingredients for Peeps Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies
I never actually ate a Peeps until I went away to college. I never really tried a lot of candy that other kids got to enjoy until I went away. With some leftover Peeps marshmallows I got to work making a new cookie! The ingredient list is pretty simple. You'll need some pantry staples like flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, softened butter, salt, eggs and baking soda. To finish, you'll need chocolate chips and Peeps marshmallows.
Choosing Just the Right Peeps
For these cookies, make sure that you use any Peeps but the chicks. The chicks are way too big and just make a mess when you are trying to bake with them.
Preheat the Oven
Lightly grease a cookie sheet, or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix the Cookie Batter
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars together for 2-3 minutes on medium speed until the butter and sugar become light and fluffy. Stop and scrape the mixer, then add in the egg and vanilla. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda and salt until mixed well. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips.
Can I Use Gluten Free Flour?
Yes, you can substitute a gluten free flour blend if you would like.
Can I make the cookies egg free?
Yes, just use some egg replacer.
May I use dairy free products?
Absolutely, you can substitute dairy free butter and dairy free chocolate chips.
Are Peeps Vegan and Gluten Free?
Peeps are dairy free, but not vegan. Peeps contain pork derived gelatin. The original Peeps are gluten free. There are lot's of different varieties and flavors of Peeps on the market now, so make sure to check the label to see if that particular flavor you are using is gluten free.
Assembling and Baking The Cookies
Take a golf ball sized amount of dough and form a ball around the Peeps marshmallow. For smaller sized cookies you can cut the Peeps into fourths and press a tablespoon of dough around a quarter Peeps. Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet, leaving several inches of space for the dough to spread. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes for large golf ball sized cookies, and 9-12 minutes for tablespoon sized cookies. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool for several minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
Get More Peeps Recipes!
Did you know that the owner of Peeps, Bob Born, died at the age of 98 in 2023? Did you know the original Peeps used to take 27 hours just to make one Peep? And almost 5.5 million Peeps are made everyday! If you can't get enough Peeps you'll want to check out our S'Mores spring rolls, or some Peeps Oreo Ice Cream. You could even gift someone with a Peeps cookbook!Buy Peeps Cookbook
- For a fun twist, try using different colors and flavors of Peeps marshmallows.
- For a more traditional chocolate chip cookie, simply omit the Peeps marshmallows.
- If you like your cookies extra soft and chewy, try underbaking them by a minute or two.
- For a crunchy texture, try adding chopped nuts, such as almonds or pecans, to the cookie dough.
Storing the Perfect Gooey Cookie!
This recipe makes about 12-16 cookies, depending on the size of the cookie scoop you use. You can easily double or triple the recipe for a larger batch. These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or you can freeze the dough for up to 3 months. Simply defrost the dough in the refrigerator overnight before baking as directed.
Peeps marshmallow chocolate chip cookies are a fun and delicious twist on the classic chocolate chip cookie. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can make these sweet treats right at home. So, grab some Peeps marshmallows, a mixing bowl, and some cookie ingredients and get started!
Peeps Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cookie sheet
- 2 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 12 whole Peeps bunnies do not use chicks
- In a mixing bowl, place the butters and sugar. Cream the butter on medium speed for approximately three minutes, or until mixture becomes light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and stir in the eggs and vanilla. Set mixer to low speed and mix until blended. Scrape the bowl if necessary.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour mixture. Continue mixing until all flour has been blended well. Stop, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Taking a golf ball sized amount of dough, wrap it around one of the Peeps bunnies completely. Make sure that none of the Peep is showing before placing it on the cookie sheet.
- Place cookies six on a sheet and fairly far apart as cookies will spread. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool for several minutes before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.