Fall is just around the corner, and it's time to start thinking about all the delicious pumpkin treats that come with the season. One popular dessert that has become a staple during the fall months is pumpkin cake pops. These small, bite-sized treats are perfect for sharing with friends and family, or for indulging in a sweet treat all to yourself. In this article, we'll explore what pumpkin cake pops are, how to make them, and some fun decorating ideas to make them truly special.
What Are Pumpkin Cake Pops?
Pumpkin cake pops are small, round balls of cake that are coated in a layer of creamy frosting and decorated with festive fall colors and designs. The cake itself is made with pumpkin puree, which gives it a deliciously moist and flavorful texture. The frosting can be made with cream cheese, buttercream, or any other frosting of your choice. Once the cake and frosting are combined, the mixture is rolled into small balls, placed on a stick, and dipped in a layer of chocolate or candy coating. From there, the cake pops can be decorated with sprinkles, candies, or other edible decorations to make them look as festive as they taste.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake Pops
To make our delicious fall cake pops you will need:
- 1 white cake mix
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ¾ cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ⅓ cup oil (can substitute greek yogurt)
- 1 can vanilla frosting or 1 ¾ cup homemade vanilla frosting
- 1 bag white chocolate chips or 1-2 bags vanilla melting chips
- Orange and green natural food coloring
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Lollipop sticks
Preheat Your Oven and Prepare Your Cake
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Mix the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and spices together in a bowl until well combined. Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Time to Make Your Cake Mix Pops
Once the cake has cooled, crumble it into a large mixing bowl. Add the softened butter and frosting to the bowl and mix until well combined. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the mixture until it forms a dough-like consistency.
Roll the cake mixture into small balls and place them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Insert a lollipop stick into each ball and place the sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
Melt the Chocolate
In the meantime, melt the candy melts or chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Dip each cake pop into the melted chocolate, coating it evenly. Place the cake pops back onto the wax paper-lined baking sheet and decorate with sprinkles or other edible decorations before the chocolate hardens.
Fun Decorating Ideas Fr Your Cake Pops
Now that you know how to make pumpkin cake pops, it's time to get creative with the decorations. I decorated ours with toasted coconut flakes. But here are a few fun ideas to make your cake pops stand out:
- Use fall-colored sprinkles, such as orange, red, and yellow, to give your cake pops a festive look.
- Use edible markers to draw on faces, designs, or other fun patterns. This is a great option if you're making cake pops for Halloween.
- Use small candies, like candy corn or mini M&Ms, to create fun designs on your cake pops.
- Drizzle additional melted chocolate or candy coating on top of the cake pops for a decorative touch.
- Wrap each cake pop in a clear plastic bag and tie with a festive ribbon for a cute gift idea.
This recipe idea came from Without Adornment. We loved her simple and healthy recipes!
Other Pumpkin Recipes We Know You Will Love!!
I have a HUGE pumpkin problem...I love it! We eat pumpkin everything in the fall! Try a savory pumpkin coconut soup or a website favorite...pumpkin caramel cookies! You can even try our four ingredient pumpkin bread!
You can find our HUGE pumpkin recipe list here!