A recipe for a delicious no thermometer salted caramel sauce recipe that is versatile in many recipes from sauces to baked goods! Best part is it can be made dairy free too! (Dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, FODMAP friendly)
Making Your Salted Caramel Sauce
This salted caramel sauce recipe is a to-die-for treat. It takes just five minutes to make and will quickly become your favorite topping for ice cream or homemade desserts. The rich, buttery taste of the caramel blends perfectly with the hint of salt and makes it an irresistible treat every time!
Quick and easy to make from common ingredients
It's so simple to make this sauce! You will need 2 cups granulated sugar, ¾ cups butter, 1 cup heavy whipping cream and ½ tablespoon flaky sea salt. Grab a sauce pan and pour the sugar into the saucepan. Heat on medium heat until the sugar melts. After the sugar melts and becomes a dark amber color, add in the butter. Finally add in the heavy whipping cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture has boiled stir in the sea salt and then remove from heat.
Every batch of this unique sauce tastes so creamy and full of flavor
Once the mixture is cooked, remove from heat and pour the mixture into a mason jar. Allow it to cool completely before placing it into the refrigerator. The sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator for two weeks. It may require some heating prior to using.
Making the sauce dairy free and vegan
You can make the sauce dairy free and vegan by substituting dairy free heavy whipping cream and dairy free butter. Both can be found easily at select grocery stores or health food stores.
Perfect topping for homemade desserts & ice cream
If you're looking for the perfect sauce that's super easy and requires no thermometer, this is the perfect recipe! It is perfect for dipping apples, fruit and cookies in. You can also use it to make some salted caramel gluten free sugar cookies, double chocolate caramel cookies, and even drizzled on top some delicious grilled donuts!
This salted caramel sauce has all the flavor of a regular homemade sauce without the need for a thermometer!
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (12 tbsp) butter softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream room temperature
- ½ tbsp flaky sea salt (aka fleur de sel)
- Have your ingredients ready before beginning. Once you get cooking you will want to have all ingredients ready and within arms reach. Keep your ingredients separated.
- In a medium saucepan, add your sugar. Heat the sugar over medium heat, stirring with a wire whisk as the sugar melts. As the sugar melts, it will begin to clump. That is OKAY! It will clump and then melt into a sauce.
- Continue stirring until the mixture just barely becomes dark amber in color.
- Once the mixture reaches the desired color, stir in the butter and whisk rapidly. Be careful, as the mixture is extremely hot at this point and will bubble.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in your heavy cream. Whisk rapidly until the cream is incorporated into the mixture. The cream will also bubble similar to the butter, so be careful.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add in your flaky sea salt and continue stirring until combined.
- Pour the sauce into a glass mason jar. (Avoid plastic or any other type of material that could shatter when placing hot liquids inside). Allow to cool, then store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. If using your sauce directly from the refrigerator, you will want to reheat it before using.
Looks awesome, can't wait until my work day is done to make this. Thank you!
Let me know how it turns out. 🙂