One of my favorite recipes is Zupas chicken enchilada chili. I've learned to make it dairy free now. It's delicious and has become a family favorite in our house. I posted the recipe years ago but wanted to update with better photos. I used to blend it in the blender back when the kids hated beans but now that they have grown up it's made the traditional way.
Chicken enchilada chili recipes are EVERYWHERE on the internet but this cafe version is amazing and tastes delicious! And it costs much less than running down to the restaurant cafe to buy it.
Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into very small bite sized pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 10oz can mild green chile sauce
- 1 10oz can mild red chile sauce
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15oz can black or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (for dairy free this can be omitted)
- 2 tablespoon flour (for gluten free, substitute cornstarch or arrowroot powder)
- 2 tablespoon butter (can use non dairy vegan butter for dairy free)
- 1 15oz can evaporated milk (can substitute non dairy creamer if needed or dairy or non dairy heavy whipping cream)
- 2 cups broth
- In a large pan set to medium low heat, stir together the chicken, onion, green chile sauce, red chile sauce, tomato sauce, green chiles, beans, garlic, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and allow mixture to warm while you make the sauce. Stir occasionally.
- In a small saucepan set to medium heat, stir together the 2 tablespoons flour and butter until a smooth lump forms. Stir in the milk and continue stirring with the whisk until mixture thickens.
- Slowly add the milk mixture into the chili, stirring to combine. Stir in the cheese if using and continue cooking until melted.
- Slowly add up to two cups of broth if needed to thin. You can opt to have the chili take on a more thicker chili appearance or you can serve it like the cafe which does a more soup style presentation.
- Serve garnished with additional cheese, tortilla strips, cilantro, or sour cream.