Rainbows and love are always in style with these beautiful rainbow donuts! Perfect for a rainbow themed birthday party or pride month treat! (Gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free, soy free, vegan, vegetarian, FODMAP)Jump to Recipe
The Meaning Behind Rainbows
In many cultures, rainbows are the sign for hope. They can also mean hope, promise, connection and unity between all things.
The rainbow has also become a symbol for the LGBTQ+ movement. June is pride month in the LGBTQ+ community. The federal government also instituted Juneteenth in 2021, which celebrates the emancipation of enslaved African Americans. June has become known as the month that encircles the promise, connection and unity among all people.
Fun Ideas for Serving Rainbow Donuts
These donuts are really fun to serve and there are lot's of fun ways to allow partygoers to personalize their donuts.
Design Your Own Food
Rainbow Party Ideas
Rainbow Party in a Box
Family Friendly Pride Month Party Ideas
As an elementary junior high counselor I love serving as an advocate for LGBTQ+ students. But...I find that a lot of the pride month activities aren't always so family friendly.
Five Ingredient Baked Donuts
- donut pan
- 1 box vanilla or chocolate cake mix can substitute a gluten free, keto or other cake mix
- ¾ cup milk can substitute dairy free
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter
- 1 whole egg can substitute flax or egg replacer egg
- ½ cup chocolate chips (for chocolate donuts) can substitute dairy free
- ½-1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (for vanilla donuts)
For the Vanilla Glaze
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- ½ cup chocolate chips, melted can substitute dairy free
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a donut pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together all the donut ingredients until smooth. Fill each donut pan cavity ¾ of the way full. Bake at 350 degrees for 11-14 minutes or until donut is cooked and springs lightly back when you press lightly on them or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the donut comes out clean.
- Remove donut from oven and allow to cool in the donut pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove the donuts from the pan and move to a cooling rack. Allow donuts to cool completely on the rack before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
- Stir together the frosting ingredients. Dip the tops of the donut into the frosting, then move to cooling rack to allow frosting to set completely.