These honey sweetened brownies are delicious with a sprinkling of chocolate chips, nuts or a scoop of ice cream on top!
This weekend I made the mistake of going to the store hungry. Is anyone else shocked by the snacks they are making "protein packed" now. Rice krispy treats, really?? I bought them because I need my boyfriend to try them to see if they can really make them protein packed and taste good too. I'm struggling with this one.
This week has been busy. All the end of the year choir concerts, band concerts, Mother's Day programs, class parties and finals for the kids! One of the ladies I worked with dubbed May the new December and I completely agree. It's way too busy and full of activities!
This week did bring a little break from studying for the kids. The kids decided to play outside in a rain storm. This photo was taken seconds before my son chased the girls up the stairs with a glass of rain water and then me through the house trying to hug me while he was soaking wet. Boys.
The weekend was a quiet one. I spent some 'me' time--a nice quiet canyon run, breakfast with friends and I worked on some work and then went on a fun date with my nephew.
I am thanking my bruised chins on this photo. We had a great time. We played with trains, I got him a kids meal and we went for a walk. He loved the pool and wanted to do ANYTHING he could to get into that pool. Like use the scooter to try to climb the fence. I let him try for a few minutes, but the sun was setting and it was time to get back. And then the meltdown happened. We made it through but the kid is solid and the scooter banged into my chins a few times as I tried to carry him back to the house. I was so exhausted and tired by the end that we flopped on the couch and watched Garfield on Netflix (gotta get them to see the classics!) until my sister called to say she was back home.
I made it home safe and sound and pulled out a fork to enjoy some of these brownies before bed.
Brownies make life so much better after a busy day.
- ⅔ cup honey
- ⅓ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup white whole wheat flour or gluten free baking blend
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (can substitute greek yogurt)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips or chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray in 8x8 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the honey and cocoa. Microwave for 30-60 seconds until honey is warm and bubbly.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, applesauce, olive oil, egg and vanilla, stirring until just combined.
- Pour into the pan and use a spatula to smooth. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or nuts like walnuts or pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.Remove from oven and allow to cool. Cut into 16 squares.
- Brownies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or stored in the freezer for several weeks.
Good recipe. Good texture and flavor. Thank you.
Thank you so much!