I truly almost feel guilty for sharing this deliciously simple steak sandwich recipe.
Did I ever tell you how I can't cook steak? I really can't cook steak to save my life. If someone stuck me in a kitchen with a piece of steak I would probably start crying. I would have no idea what to do with it or how to cook it. For the longest time when my husband begged me to make him a roast, I would bring home a roast and he would roll his eyes and tell me that pork roast is not beef roast even though it says "roast" on the package.
Like I knew the difference. I grew up a friggin' vegetarian.
Gather Your Ingredients
With just a few simple ingredients and a few minutes, you can make the perfect steak sandwich for your lunch or dinner. This simple yet flavorful sandwich is sure to become an instant favorite in your meal rotation.
To make this yummy steak sandwich, you’ll need some basic ingredients. You’ll need a few slices of your favorite bread, a steak between ¾-inch to 1 inch thick, onion slices and Montreal Steak seasoning. You can add some mayonnaise or butter, salt and pepper for seasoning, and lettuce and tomato for the topping if you'd like. These ingredients are easy to find at any store and come together for a delicious sandwich.
Thanks to a coworker of mine, I can now make one amazing steak recipe. Of course, this summer I also learned to cook Steak Lime Tacos so I'm up to two steak recipes.
Get Your Slow Cooker Ready!
Place your steak, onion and Montreal steak seasoning into a slow cooker. Turn to medium and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
Slice and Toast Your Bread
Now that all the ingredients are prepped, it's time to assemble your sandwich. Take two slices of lightly toasted bread and spread mayonnaise on both sides if you would like. Place the cooked steak in-between both slices. You can also add additional toppings such as tomatoes, lettuce, and provolone cheese to your sandwich. Slice the sandwich in half, serve, and enjoy!
Add Garnishes for Extra Flair
Want to add some extra flair to your steak sandwich? Try garnishing it with sautéed onions and peppers, diced tomatoes, pickles, jalapeños or relish. Sprinkle in a few cooked bacon pieces or top with melted cheese for added flavor. You can also use different spreads such as BBQ sauce, ranch dressing or olive tapenade to make it a truly unique dish.
A deliciously simple steak sandwich with a rich Mesquite flavor and topped with spicy pepperjack cheese bedded inside a crusty hard roll.
- 2 pounds steak (flank steak most recommended but any boneless steak will do)
- 1 red or yellow onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1-2 marinade packet of your choice (We recommend Simply Organic Grilling Seasons Mesquite BBQ Marinade or McCormick Grilling Mates Mesquite Marinade)
- Prepare the marinade according to package directions. Pour the marinade into a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
- Cut the meat into thin strips, then place the meat in the bag. Seal the bag and coat the meat in the marinade. Allow marinade to sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, pour the marinade, sliced onion, and steak into the crockpot. Set the crockpot to low and cook for 6-8 hours.
- To serve, slice a loaf of crusty french bread into six inch widths, then across horizontally in the middle. Butter then toast the insides of the bread. (This prevents the sandwich from getting soggy). Place a slice of pepperjack or provolone cheese in the sandwich, then top with a generous helping of the meat mixture.
Looks super yummy and simple! I'll be trying this recipe soon!
Sara @ Content in the Meantime
Mmm sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this on my What Are You Doing? Blog Hop!