Looking for an easy and delicious crowd-pleasing meal? Then this five ingredient Philly cheesesteak recipe is just what you need! With minimal ingredients and minimal effort, you can recreate the classic sandwich right in your own kitchen. (Gluten free option, soy free, nut free, egg free)
How to Make the Perfect Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
Gather 1-2 pounds of thinly sliced sirloin or ribeye steak, ½ sliced onion, 8 slices of provolone cheese, garlic, hoagie buns and then you’re ready to get started! Heat a skillet or griddle over medium-high heat and add the steak. Cook the steak until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onions while stirring. Once the onions are softened and lightly browned, add in the garlic and a little salt and pepper if you'd like. Turn off the heat and top with cheese slices before serving on a toasted hoagie roll. Enjoy!
Assemble and Melt the Cheese
To finish off the Philly cheesesteak, place the toasted hoagie rolls on a baking sheet. Top each one with the steak and vegetable mixture and top with slices of provolone cheese. Place in an oven preheated to 350°F for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve these delicious sandwiches hot and enjoy!
Optional Slow Cooker Version
You can make this Philly cheesesteak recipe in the slow cooker too! Just add the ingredients to a slow cooker, add a splash of broth and cook on high for 4-5 hours or slow for 6-8 hours. Remove from the slow cooker and serve on toasted buns with melted provolone cheese.
Can You Make This Recipe Gluten Free?
Absolutely! Make sure you use gluten free hoagie buns.
How to Make An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak
- Meat: The meat definetely matters in this recipe! You will want to use ribeye steak. In a pinch you can also use sirloin.
- Thinly slice the meat into thin strips.
- The bun matters! If you're gluten free go with a gluten free hoagie bun. But if you're going for an authentic Philly cheesesteak, you will want steak rolls or amoroso rolls.
- Cheese please: Provolone is the go to cheese for an authentic Philly sandwich, but you will also find recipes topping it with Cheese Whiz or American cheese.
- What about the vegetables? You can add some green bell peppers or mushrooms too.
Try Some Other Delicious Steak Sandwiches!
Or try a delicious corned beef reuben!
Fast & Delicious 5 Ingredient Philly Cheesesteak Recipe
- 2 pounds ribeye steak cut into thin slices
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ onion, cut into slices
- 4 buns (gluten free hoagie, steak rolls or amoroso rolls)
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Cook the steak until it is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the onions while stirring. Once the onions are softened and lightly browned, add in the garlic and a little salt and pepper if you'd like. Turn off the heat and top with cheese slices before serving on a toasted hoagie roll. Enjoy!
Served this for the Super Bowl! It was delicious!!
Give me meat, cheese, and bread and I'm a happy gal! Your recipe is simple and delish and just what I was craving!
This was such a hit and it was so easy! Definitely adding this sandwich to the rotation!
I love that you used ribeye in this recipe. It's my favorite cut and so much more flavorful than many others. Not only was this recipe fast and easy, everyone loved it! I'll be making it again, without a doubt. Thanks for the recipe!
You had me at Philly Cheesesteak but to make it 5 ingredients, too? Mannn do I ever love the HECK out of this dish enough already but to go ahead and use RIB EYE? WHOA MAMA! Yours is my favorite, THANK YOU!