Pumpkin whoopie pies are a delicious and easy treat that is perfect for fall and the holidays. They are made with a soft and chewy pumpkin cookie that is sandwiched together with a creamy filling. These whoopie pies are made with just five simple ingredients, so they are perfect for busy weeknights or when you are short on time.
Today's recipe fits right in with our huge list pumpkin recipes I have on our site. (Pumpkin lovers unite!) Some of my other favorite pumpkin cookies this time of year are these pumpkin caramel cookies and pumpkin pie cookies. They are top requested at family gatherings! But they take a lot more love to make than today's five ingredient cookie.
Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Piping bag
- Cookie sheet
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup oil
- Cheesecake Filling:
- 1 package instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 16 ounces heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the spice cake mix, pumpkin puree, and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are set and spring back when lightly touched.
- Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheets before frosting.
- To make the filling:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding and heavy whipping cream until smooth.
- To assemble the whoopie pies, spread or pipe a generous amount of filling onto the bottom of half of the cookies. Sandwich the remaining cookies on top.
Five Ingredient Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: A Quick Overview
What makes these Pumpkin Whoopie Pies a fall baking staple is their simplicity. With just five basic ingredients, you can whip up a batch of these treats in no time. The result is a moist and tender pumpkin cookie sandwich filled with a creamy, sweet center.
Before you start on your baking adventure, make sure you have the following ingredients on hand:
- Spice cake mix
- Pumpkin puree
- Pudding--cheesecake or vanilla flavor
- Heavy whipping cream
See recipe card for quantities.
Now, let's dive into the simple steps to create your Five Ingredient Pumpkin Whoopie Pies:
Gather your ingredients
Prepare the cookie batter
Cool the cookies completely before filling
Fill the cookies with filling
Step 1: Preheat and Prepare
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the spice cake mix, canned pumpkin puree, and oil. Stir until all the ingredients are well incorporated and a soft dough forms.
Step 3: Scoop and Bake
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, drop dollops of the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving some space between them. The dough will spread while baking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly golden, and they spring back when lightly touched.
Step 4: Cool and Assemble
- Allow the baked cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cool, spread a generous dollop of filling on the flat side of one cookie and sandwich it with another cookie.
Everyone should enjoy these cookies so I've made some substitutions for you!
For a gluten free version, use gluten free spice cake mix. I know that can be hard to find in stores so check out our simple spice cake mix recipe.
Vegan and Dairy free
You can easily make a vegan and dairy free version. Just use vegan dairy free pudding. I haven't found a vegan cheesecake pudding mix or dairy free cheesecake pudding mix, so I usually opt to use vanilla pudding. You can find Simply Delish instant vegan and dairy free pudding mixes at a lot of major retailers.
You will also want to use dairy free heavy whipping cream. It can be found at major retailers too.
While the basic recipe is perfect on its own, you can add your personal touch or experiment with variations:
- Spiced Cream Cheese Filling: Mix a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg into the cream cheese frosting for an extra layer of flavor.
- Pecan or Walnut Crunch: Roll the edges of the assembled whoopie pies in chopped pecans or walnuts for added texture.
- Mini Chocolate Chips: Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the frosting before sandwiching the cookies for a delightful contrast.
- Chocolate Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Add ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder to the cookie dough. For the filling, use chocolate buttercream frosting instead of the pumpkin filling.
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Add ½ cup of white chocolate chips to the cookie dough. For the filling, use white chocolate buttercream frosting instead of the pumpkin filling.
- Peanut Butter Pumpkin Whoopie Pies: Add ½ cup of peanut butter to the cookie dough. For the filling, use peanut butter buttercream frosting instead of the pumpkin filling.
I would recommend having parchment paper to lay your cookie batter on when baking. I also liked using a piping bag for the filling over spreading it onto the cookies with a spoon.
Store your Pumpkin Whoopie Pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for freshness. They can also be frozen for longer storage. The whoopie pies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Use Canned Pumpkin Puree: Make sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling, which contains added sugars and spices.
- Consistent Cookie Size: For even baking and uniform whoopie pies, use a cookie scoop or spoon to portion out the cookie dough.
- Let Cookies Cool: Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the frosting. This prevents the frosting from melting.
Yes you can! I make my own simple spice cake mix recipe from a yellow cake mix! Or you can make your own spice cake mix using a combination of flour, sugar, baking powder, and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Absolutely! Homemade cream cheese frosting adds a personal touch and can be customized to your liking.
Yes, you can make the cookies ahead of time and assemble them with the frosting just before serving to keep them fresh.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
With just five simple ingredients, you can create the magic of autumn with these Five Ingredient Pumpkin Whoopie Pies. These delightful treats capture the essence of the season with their warm spice and pumpkin flavor. It's also an easy dessert to satisfy a craving or a crowd-pleaser for a fall gathering. these whoopie pies are sure to hit the sweet spot. So, preheat your oven, gather your ingredients, and get ready to enjoy the comforting taste of fall in every bite.
Trying serving one of these amazing dishes with your cookies: